The Adoption Council of Canada (ACC) is an umbrella organization for adoption in Canada. The ACC is sensitive to, and respects, the perspectives of all members of the adoption constellation.
A permanent, supported family for every child and youth in Canada.
We are Canada’s voice for adoption, unifying communities’ commitment to permanency for waiting children and youth. We support and encourage people along their adoption journey, connecting them to the families and resources they need.
We are currently seeking a vibrant, self-motivated CMA or CA for the position of Treasurer to join our Board. A connection to child welfare is an asset, but it is by no means limiting.
Position: Treasurer of the Board
Responsible to: Board of Directors (Chair)
As a member of the Adoption Council of Canada’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors, the treasurer is a key member of our volunteer leadership team. The treasurer is responsible for monitoring and reporting to the Board of Directors with respect to all matters pertaining to the financial integrity of this national organization.
- Develops a thorough understanding of ACC’s mission, goals, bylaws, financial position and board structure.
- Reviews financial documents and reporting templates as required.
- Reviews and presents quarterly financial statements to the Board; assesses fiscal health, identifies trends, variances and concerns.
- Manages the Boards’ review of and actions related to ACCs’ financial responsibilities as a not-for-profit organization.
- Reviews, develops and recommends financial policies, procedures and systems for the ACC.
- Supports the Executive Director and Administrative Coordinator with financial recordkeeping - ensuring materials are up-to-date and adequately safeguarded.
- Acts as an advisor to the Executive Director for annual budget preparation and presents annual budget to the Board.
- Ensures annual financial statements comply with regulatory requirements and are submitted within the required deadlines.
- Examines other financial matters as may be assigned by the board from time to time.
- Assists preparation for an annual audit as necessary.
- Required to have joint signing authority on bank accounts in use by the ACC as per bank and cheque signing policies.
- Keeps current on emerging CRA guidelines and charitable law that may impact financial operations and external requirements of the organization.
- Works toward organizational goals – with commitment to the mission of ACC.
- Assists in the selection of an auditor when necessary.
- Chairs a Finance Committee (sub-committee of the Executive) if necessary.
- Board meetings occur monthly by teleconference, in the evenings and last 1 to 2 hours – plus an additional 4 hours as required to review financial statements and prepare reports. The Board tries to meet once per year in person –for an Annual General Meeting.
- Approximate Position Start Date: May 2018
- Approximate Position End Date: Term is, at minimum, one year.
- The treasurer will be required to give two months’ written notice of departure and remain on the board until the Board of Directors elects a new treasurer.
- National Office Location: 416-2249 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, ON Canada
- Prior experience in the financial sector with a preference for an individual who is a chartered accountant, certified management accountant, certified general accountant or has equivalent experience and has knowledge of the charitable sector.
- Reside within Ottawa, Ontario region (asset)
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in the non-profit sector.
- Positive, motivated and enthusiastic.
Benefits & Recognition:
- Board Training
- Further development in personal leadership skills
- Critical knowledge on the issues in the child welfare field and on the programs we deliver to help find waiting children and youth.
If you are interested in joining the ACC National Board of Directors, please send a COVER LETTER and RESUME to firstname.lastname@example.org
Date Posted: May 2018
Description Carry the Kettle First Nation (CTK) is seeking a Finance Clerk to Performs Financial Data Entry Prepares and Processes cheque payments Maintains a Financial filing...
8 days ago | Government/Industry Groups - Crop Production - Business Development/Strategic Management, AgCareers.com, 14 daysOur client, SaskCanola, is a prominent producer-led association that has an instrumental role in supporting canola production through research, agronomy and policy development. SaskCanola's new...
Description The Director of Finance is responsible for leading all financial reporting, planning, billing and strategy of the Email Marketing business unit within j2 Global’s Cloud Services...
Description Job ID: 269308 Senior Financial Analyst Pensacola, Florida Regular / Day Additional Job Information Title: Senior Financial Analyst City, State: Pensacola, FL Location: FLPEN 5130...
What is the opportunity? As an RBC Financial Advisor, you attract, nurture, and grow relationships with our high-value personal and small business clients by adding value in the moments that...
At MNP we pride ourselves on being different – it’s our entrepreneurial drive that sets us apart. It’s the same drive that’s helped us become Canada’s fastest growing national firm. We foster...
Description Carry the Kettle First Nation (CTK) is seeking a Finance Clerk to Performs Financial...
8 days ago | Government/Industry Groups - Crop Production - Business Development/Strategic Management, AgCareers.com, 14 daysOur client, SaskCanola, is a prominent producer-led association that has an instrumental role in...
Description The Director of Finance is responsible for leading all financial reporting,...
Description Job ID: 269308 Senior Financial Analyst Pensacola, Florida Regular / Day Additional...
What is the opportunity? As an RBC Financial Advisor, you attract, nurture, and grow...
At MNP we pride ourselves on being different – it’s our entrepreneurial drive that sets us...