For lifestyle, Williams Lake’s mixture of frontier charm and urban living can’t be beat. A regional centre with all major amenities. Living and housing is very affordable with a range of residential opportunities from modern urban subdivisions and townhouses to large rural properties. The attractive mix of high-quality lifestyle and surrounding pristine wilderness playground makes Williams Lake a great place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
Williams Lake offers year-round opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. In the winter, the Cariboo offers snowmobiling opportunities and amazing cross-country ski trails, as well as snowshoeing and ice fishing. Williams Lake, known across North America as the “Shangri-La of Mountain Biking”, boasts the largest mountain bike park in the British Columbia’s interior, and over 200 kilometres of single track trails and tens of thousands of board feet of lumber constructing a variety of riding features all within metres of the City. The lake city is a great base for hiking, camping, four-wheeling, waterskiing, swimming, golfing and sport fishing as well. Our indoor recreation facilities are first rate, with the Cariboo Memorial Recreational Complex offering a brand new leisure pool with waterslide, new lap pool, steam room, sauna, massive swirl pool along with two arena ice sheets, and a brand new fitness centre.
Utility Operator I – FT
CURRENT RATE OF PAY:
$31.99 plus benefits
HOURS OF WORK:
40 hours per week, shift work and overtime as required including evenings/weekends
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The incumbent is responsible for carrying out instructions as required within the Water/Waste Division and the Streets Division of the Municipal Services Department. The incumbent may be required to work in different divisions within the Municipal Services Department.
The incumbent is responsible to the Director of Municipal Services under the direction of the Manager of Public Works and/or designate.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manual labour in construction, repair and maintenance within the Streets, Parks, Water and Waste Divisions.
- Assists in the maintenance and repair with all aspects of Water Distribution, Sanitary Sewer and Storm Collection systems.
- Assist with the determination in the locating of gas, telephone, power, television and other utility lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
- Responsible to self to ensure that inventory items removed from the warehouse to undertake projects or maintenance work are correctly accounted for as required by the Purchasing Agent.
- Responsible to self for ensuring that safe work practices are used on the job site. Shall work within the safety guidelines as established by the City, WorkSafe BC and assists in the development of safer and more efficient methods of work.
- Shall respond to call-outs for emergency maintenance and repair work at short notice and work in inclement weather conditions.
- Shall be required to work shift work as scheduled and overtime as required.
- Other duties as may be assigned to assist with the City’s day to day operations.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Grade XII
- Shall possess a valid B.C. Driver's License - Class 5 with Air Endorsement.
- Water Distribution Level I Certification of Qualification or Competency from Environmental Operators Certificate Program.
- Wastewater Collection Level I Certification of Qualification or Competency from Environmental Operators Certificate Program.
- Shall be proficient and safely operate the following equipment within the Public Works Division:
- single axle trucks; including those fitted with snow removal equipment
- pipe locator
- Must be willing to undertake additional training in the correct operation of new equipment with respect to Streets, Parks, Water Distribution, Wastewater and Storm Collection systems.
- Must undertake additional training and education with respect to Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection certification, as a statutory requirement under the Drinking Water Protection Act
- May be required to participate as a member of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) standby group
- Shall have the ability to work with others as a team.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter outlining qualifications, experience, copies of applicable certifications, and letters of reference no later than 4:00 pm, Wednesday, March 10, 2021 to the attention of Ashley Williston, Director of Human Resources, City of Williams Lake, 450 Mart Street, Williams Lake, BC, V2G 1N3 - Fax (250) 392-8484, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, thank you.
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $31.99 Hour