Executive Director of Infrastructure and Capital Projects
Anticipated Start Date:
As soon as available
Terms of Employment:
Contract position until March 31, 2022 with possibility of extension
The Malahat Nation Traditional Use Researcher will be responsible for designing and developing a digital library of community knowledge to support cultural continuity and empowered decision-making within Malahat Nation. This will require the review, organization, and consolidation of existing information and documents related to Malahat Nation’s history and traditional use of territorial lands and resources, as well as the documentation of new information through community interviews.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and develop a digital library of community knowledge related to traditional use, history, and traditional ecological knowledge;
- Conduct community-based interviews to document traditional knowledge;
- Work collaboratively with other Malahat departments and elected leadership to ensure the effective and coordinated design and use of a digital community knowledge library;
- Work with Malahat Nation membership, supporting professional growth and providing learning opportunities wherever possible;
- Additional related duties to support the daily activities of the Lands Department upon request;
- Depending on the skills, background, and experience of the successful applicant, there may be opportunities to take on additional responsibilities and participate in other related projects.
Credentials and Qualifications
- BA or MA in Anthropology, Archaeology, First Nations Studies, or a related field;
- Knowledge of Coast Salish Indigenous communities and lifeways required;
- Previous experience working directly with Indigenous communities and/or conducting traditional use studies preferred;
- Experience synthesizing and analyzing data using social science methods, including qualitative analysis, particularly for traditional knowledge studies preferred;
- Experience conducting qualitative and community-based research, including semi-structured and/or structured interview processes is an asset;
- Dedication to empowering Indigenous communities in stewarding their cultural and intellectual properties and knowledge;
- Commitment to protecting the confidentiality and sensitive nature of community-based knowledge.
- Ability to organize and synthesize information from various sources;
- Familiarity with ethnographic research and methodology;
- Excellent writing, time management, and organizational abilities;
- Personable with the ability to build trusting relationships with interview participants;
- Demonstrated attention to detail;
- Working knowledge of Google Earth and GIS programs;
- Familiarity with database programs or other information management software options is a strong asset;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Compensation and Work Requirements
Hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week (office hours are 9:00-4:00 PM). Work outside of these core hours may be required on occasion.
Location: During the Covid-19 pandemic, working location will be split between the Malahat Nation office in Mill Bay, BC and remote. Malahat Nation’s Covid-19 Policy and Procedure and Malahat Nation’s Working from Home Policy is applicable to all employees.
Compensation: Anticipated salary range of $50,000–$55,000 per annum, dependent on qualifications and experience. Extended health benefits and pension package after 3 months.
Professional Growth: Malahat Nation offers a supportive working environment with ongoing opportunities for continued learning and professional development.
Preference may be given to qualified Indigenous applicants pursuant to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
To apply for the position of Traditional Use Researcher, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org before 11:59pm onApril 18th , 2021:
- Cover letter
- Resume including references
The hiring of this position is subject to confirmation of funding availability. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Length: Temporary
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Req ID: 126999 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Req ID: 112491 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
représentant/représentante du service à la clientèle - centre d'appel, ACCÈS ALPIN DU CANADA, 27 daysCet employeur invite les personnes de 55 ans et plus à poser leur candidature. Nombre de poste(s) à combler : 10 N° de l'offre : 7911144 Appellation d'emploi à l'interne (si différente) :...
Req ID: 126999 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
Req ID: 112491 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
représentant/représentante du service à la clientèle - centre d'appel, ACCÈS ALPIN DU CANADA, 27 daysCet employeur invite les personnes de 55 ans et plus à poser leur candidature. Nombre de...