Halton Healthcare Posting: # 2018-823534
Position:Discharge Planner Medicine
Department: Social Work & Patient Flow Department
Status: Temporary Part-time (approx. 18 months)- must provide availability of up to a .3 FTE (10-18 hours per week)
Hours: Monday to Friday Days
Halton Healthcare is a state-of-the-art facility that takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton Region.
We take healthcare to a new level to meet the urgent needs of our community's growing and aging population. We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
Through early identification of potential discharge needs, and in collaboration with interdisciplinary team members and appropriate community resources, the Discharge Planner develops discharge plans in order to meet the patient’s post-acute care needs and facilitate timely discharge.
The successful candidate will provide discharge planning support to the inpatient acute and sub-acute units. Using critical thinking and working with the interdisciplinary team, the Discharge Planner collaboratively formulates, facilitates and coordinates discharge plans focused on the needs and goals of the patient and their family system. The Discharge planner understands the Flow and Capacity challenges of a hospital system and works to achieve that the patients are in the right place, at the right time, receiving the right care.
This is what you’ll be doing:
- Coordination, formulation/development, documentation, and implementation of care plan for hospital discharge and safe transition back to community or institutional setting.
- Identification of both short and long-term goals to ensure/enhance continuity of care for patient/family.
- Assessment of patient’s medical, functional, cultural, and psychosocial needs, family issues/dynamics, extent of community resources in light of input/assessments from the multidisciplinary team and community partners re: identified needs and care options to facilitate transition through care continuum
- Planning which is a dynamic process and involves review and communication of potential plans and time lines in partnership with the multidisciplinary team, client/SDM, family, and community agencies/facilities.
- Facilitation of safe patient discharge through: assessment, case coordination and development of appropriate discharge plan.
- Included but not limited to: patient/family education; referral and completion of application to specialized treatment programs; coordination of family meetings; coordination of legal/financial capacity or SDM issues including potential PGT involvement.
- Advocate to identify gaps in services; need for individualized program consideration and system level changes required to meet changing needs of patient population.
This is what you’ll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- BScN or BSW or MSW required
- Current registration and membership in good standing with appropriate regulated College
- Will consider other health disciplines with relevant discharge planning experience, membership in an RHPA college, and complex case management experience
- 2-5 year clinical experience in an acute care hospital setting
- Experience in discharge planning an asset
- Ability to identify multiple factors which affect health
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and must be skilled at handling multiple competing demands
- Possess strong assessment, counseling, communication, conflict management, and advocacy skills.
- Have an understanding of the impact that systems thinking has on outcomes
- Have an extensive knowledge base of resources in the public and private sector, and medical and clinical language and procedures.
- Current knowledge of community resources and initiative to proactively search for new resources
- Experience with legislation that governs Public Hospitals (Public Hospitals Act, Substitute Decisions Act, Consent to Treatment Act, etc.)
- Comprehensive knowledge of the impact of social determinants of health on discharge planning, hospital LOS, Patient Flow and hospital system capacity
- Skilled working with a broad range of client groups and their significant supports
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record
Date Posted: May 15, 2017
Internal applications due by: May 22, 2017
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. , We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.
Community Living North Halton (CLNH) provides exciting employment and leadership development opportunities, and we are looking for talented individuals who want to empower others to reach their...
Resident District Manager (Patient Food, Retail and Environmental Services) Greater Toronto Area, ON Your Contribution: Sodexo Canada has the position you are looking for. Our Healthcare Division...
Aseptic Technician - (18004141) Description McKesson is in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. At McKesson Canada, we touch...
District Manager - 00001P1N Are you looking to make a difference in a patient’s life? At Innomar Strategies, a company of AmerisourceBergen, you will find an innovative culture that is patient...
Health Services Case Manager - (18003562) Description McKesson is in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. At McKesson Canada,...
Closing Date: Until Filled Relief/On-Call, Up to 35 Hours per Week, Monday-Friday availability is required and evening/weekends may be required Competition #: 201844 Our Mission: As the...
Community Living North Halton (CLNH) provides exciting employment and leadership development...
Resident District Manager (Patient Food, Retail and Environmental Services) Greater Toronto...
Aseptic Technician - (18004141) Description McKesson is in the business of better health and we...
District Manager - 00001P1N Are you looking to make a difference in a patient’s life? At...
Health Services Case Manager - (18003562) Description McKesson is in the business of better...
Closing Date: Until Filled Relief/On-Call, Up to 35 Hours per Week, Monday-Friday availability...