The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The primary purpose of this position is to investigate IT and business requirements; design, develop, document and support solutions; and apply knowledge of the best-of-breed processes and procedures in SAP business applications to recommend changes to business processes. This position is to be a leader of SAP development projects through the preliminary investigation, analysis of requirements, business case and feasibility analysis, design, implementation, quality control, documentation, and post-implemenation review phases. This position provides ongoing application support and responsibilities include performing changes to SAP HR modules, payroll and time evaluation configuration, schemas and programs. This position has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports to the Manager SAP HR/Payroll within Technology Services Applications Development, works closely with Program and Project team members, external Vendors, Help Centre staff, business customers, and other IT partners. May supervise external consultants, and evaluate developers for project deliverables.
- Prepares documentation including project charters, system requirements definition, business cases, system reviews, training materials, system configuration documentation, etc.
- Designs, develops, modifies and maintains SAP Payroll/time configuration and schemas to meet business and operational requirements.
- Designs and maintains other SAP HR modules (eg. Benefits, Training and Events, Appraisals).
- Consults with customers to understand their requirements.
- Develops systems alternatives including work procedure changes, and recommends the most suitable alternative to assist customers in meeting their operational requirements
- Develops technical specifications including diagrams and charts to provide the blueprints for SAP developers to write or code programs.
- Develops detailed project plans to track progress.
- Manages projects through all phases from planning through to maintenance and support.
- Recommends changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
- Researches, evaluates and recommends new tools and methodologies for development of business applications.
- Reviews or develops test scripts and scenarios to ensure adequate testing of system configuration and integration.
- Performs testing of problem fixes (SAP fixes/notes), configuration changes, enhancements and new functionality in order to ensure system integrity and proper integration across SAP applications.
- Remains current with developments in SAP applications and related technologies, including releases and enhancements/new functionality.
- Identifies opportunities to improve operational effectiveness through the use of technology and makes recommendations where appropriate (make changes to use of system, business process and/or add additional functionality).
- Delivers presentations to customers (users, departments) and technical staff on SAP related solutions and specific technologies.
- Provides problem resolution for calls referred by Help Desk.
- Investigates and follows up on SAP system errors/problems, and liaises with SAP, IT staff and others as required to resolve these issues.
- Develops and maintains SAP system configuration documentation
- Provides technical assistance with SAP upgrades and the implementation of other modules, including integration to other applications.
- Provides support to corporate and departmental reporting. Assists in the use of existing reports and develops/documents additional reports as required.
- Designs and delivers reports and analytics.
- Monitors applications performance, trouble shoots problems with technical specialists.
- Participates in training of customers and provides on-going training support and guidance.
- Participates in the development of new standards, and leads technical committees.
- Has access to highly sensitive and business critical data from all City departments (e.g. employee and payroll records)
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
- Related Post-secondary degree, with preference for graduate degree in Computer Science or Business Administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- SAP Certification (or an equivalent combination of training and experience).
- Minimum 5 years experience implementing and supporting SAP Canadian payroll, SAP Benefits, SAP CATS, SAP Time Evaluation and ESS/MSS.
- Minimum 3 years experience creating and modifying complex rules and schemas for time evaluation and payroll.
- Experience with other SAP HR modules an asset.
- Knowledge/experience configuring and supporting ESS/MSS portal.
- Knowledge/experience configuring and supporting HR Fiori applications is desirable.
- Experience with SAP reporting tools such as BW/BI and Business Objects tools such as Analysis for Office, Lumira, Design Studio or Web Intelligence.
- Experience creating and managing projects plans for small or medium size projects ensuring user requirements are met and projects are completed on time.
- Experience developing, coordianting, and delivering training courses and materials to identified training populations.
- Good understanding of SAP platform integration.
- Knowledge of current trends in SAP related products and solutions (eg. Fiori, S/4HANA, Business Intelligence).
- SAP programming background is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated operational and project management skills: results focused, team oriented.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Broad knowledge across multiple aspects of the business (i.e., organizational structure, key players, current business processes and supporting systems and services, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge of municipal business processes would be an asset.
- Experience with SAP SuccessFactors is desirable.
- Thorough working knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, Visio, etc.)
- Experience with Agile development and the use of tools such as VSTS would be an asset.
- Combination of strong technical and business skills is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally with technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to handle business critical and sensitive information.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Continuous improvement and continuous learning mindset.
IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Regular Full Time
Position Start Date:
Application Close: October 4, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion .
ESRI Architect-FC0066104 Description This position will be responsible for leading the technical design and deployment of all phases of GIS activities at the Fujitsu the BC Hydro account . It...
Job Description Ceridian. Makes Work Life Better™ This is our promise. Not only for our customers, but our employees as well. Ceridian is a cloud company powered by our people. As an innovative...
Posting End Date: Number of Opening: 1 Worker Type: Temporary Position Overview: Responsible for the accurate and timely consolidation and reporting of monthly, quarterly and annual financial...
Requisition ID: 16832 Job Category: Information Technology; Technology With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand...
ESRI Senior Developer-FC0066245 Description Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and communication technology company and a leading provider of IT products and services including hardware,...
Pumps Equipment, a division of Sulzer Ltd, is a global leader in the development and supply of pumping solutions and related equipment to its key markets oil and gas, power, and water. We provide...
ESRI Architect-FC0066104 Description This position will be responsible for leading the technical...
Job Description Ceridian. Makes Work Life Better™ This is our promise. Not only for our...
Posting End Date: Number of Opening: 1 Worker Type: Temporary Position Overview: Responsible for...
Requisition ID: 16832 Job Category: Information Technology; Technology With over six decades of...
ESRI Senior Developer-FC0066245 Description Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and...
Pumps Equipment, a division of Sulzer Ltd, is a global leader in the development and supply of...