Supervisor CSA Field Safety Management
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Human Resources and Corporate Services
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Human Resources and Corporate Services Department is seeking a Supervisor CSA Field Safety Management who will promote workplace safety by working directly with Park Operation & Maintenance Supervisors and various field staff throughout Metro Vancouver Regional Parks
You are: A self-motivated safety minded individual that wants to work in a collaborative work environment and who possesses excellent safety qualifications.
The Supervisor CSA Field Safety Management reports to the Program Manager Field Safety and falls within our Professional / Technical, Level 2 job family.
- Provides technical advice to the organization on field safety management matters. Identifies and addresses high risk work activities such as confined space entry, lockout, excavating and shoring, working alone or in isolation, falling and bucking, fall protection and equipment operation.
- Works collaboratively to develop and implement safety management programs and policies in accordance with regulations, legislation and corporate standards. Maintains, and evaluates existing safety systems and recommends improvements. Promote a safety culture through communications, identified training, provision of support to supervisors and staff and promotion of best practices.
- Interprets pertinent regulations and legislation such as the Workers Compensation Act, the BC Occupational Health and Safety Regulation and Guidelines and the BC Emergency Program Act and provides clear direction regarding issues such as safe work practices, changes to work environments and use of protective equipment.
- Evaluates work sites and works with supervisors and/or Project Managers to address issues. May issue stop work orders of varying severity for non-compliance. Provides direction to managers, supervisors, staff and contractors, assisting to resume operations as efficiently as possible. Responds to WorkSafeBC (WSBC) rulings and evaluates the most efficient and effective means for compliance.
- Provides technical safety advice for the design of new facilities through the Prevention Through Design process. Works with project managers, consultants and engineering firms to ensure the Contractor Safety and Project Safety Management strategies are implemented by contractors and consultants during construction project work. Manages external resources such as consultants and contractors hired to assist the department in developing and implementing field safety procedures and initiatives.
- Addresses operational challenges related to integrating safe field work procedures in work routines and works collaboratively with staff and managers to resolve issues. Works with supervisory staff to monitor work practices in the field noting, addressing and resolving recurring issues. Contributes to annual work plans; measures and reports on performance.
- Conducts field and construction site inspections, risk assessments, occupational hygiene monitoring, WSBC variance applications and incident investigations. Provides guidance and advice during incident investigations and ensures prevention strategies are implemented in a timely manner. Audits processes, reviews and prepares reports and ensures safety documentation is maintained and current. Works to develop and deliver safety training and may facilitate training for groups or individuals. May act as departmental confined space entry administrator.
- Manages COR stay at work and return to work compliance as operationally required.
- Keeps current on changes to safety related regulations and legislation, consults and coordinates with others on the Corporate Safety team and advises on necessary adjustments to various departments’ safety systems. Communicates changes to departmental staff and ensures new guidelines are implemented and understood by all relevant parties. Liaises with others on the Corporate Safety team and operating departments to promote compliance and understanding of regulations, policies and procedures and consistent implementation.
- Liaises with external government agencies such as WSBC and manages external contractors required for program activities. Contributes to emergency management planning activities and assists to develop response plans for a variety of scenarios including accidents and natural disasters.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 5 years of recent, related experience, including construction related field safety experience supplemented by a diploma in occupational health and safety or relevant university degree; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Designation or eligibility as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP). Industrial First Aid Certification is an asset.
- Sound knowledge and ability to interpret and apply relevant regulations and legislation such as the Workers Compensation Act, the WorkSafeBC Occupational Health and Safety Regulations and Guidelines and BC Emergency Program Act. Ability to make recommendations and provide advice that is compliant with regulations, standards, codes, policies and procedures. Sound knowledge of high risk work activities and programs related to confined space entry and rescue techniques, lockout, excavating and shoring, working alone or in isolation, falling and bucking, fall protection, equipment operation procedures and other construction and operation and maintenance related activities.
- Demonstrated and applied knowledge of work processes, practices, hazards, rules and regulations related to safe and efficient operations. Demonstrated ability to develop, deliver and assist safety related training.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of field safety best practices such as the identification and assessment of hazards and high risk work activities. Demonstrated and applied knowledge of safety management considerations for a large scale utility including operations and maintenance, engineering and heavy construction. Demonstrated knowledge of mitigation techniques for high risk work activities such as confined space entry, lockouts, fall hazards and working with hazardous materials such as asbestos.
- Ability to work under general direction and use sound independent judgment in adapting and applying procedures to address and resolve unusual or problem situations. Ability to effectively navigate and understand technically complex business processes, practices and risks.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including effective listening and persuasion skills. Excellent business and technical writing skills including the ability to analyze and revise procedures and standards and draft non-routine correspondence and reports regarding departmental safety management systems and risk assessments.
- Ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts under circumstances that may be controversial or sensitive; ability to manage and respond effectively to stressful situations such as urgent high-risk matters of non-compliance. Demonstrated ability to work in a team oriented work environment. Demonstrated ability to resolve on-site operations and maintenance and engineering construction safety issues with site supervisors and crews.
- Ability to guide supervisory staff on safety matters; strong analytical and research skills and a high degree of integrity and professionalism. Ability to meet timelines and objectives and demonstrates persistence in overcoming obstacles. Considerable practical knowledge of a complex safety management and incident reporting and investigation system.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by September 28, 2020.
Professional Categories: Occupational Health & Safety
Posted: September 10, 2020, 12:07 pm
Expires: September 28, 2020, 4:30 pm
Want Jobs like this sent to you?
<>/div>Back to Top
Close Team Leader Sanitation Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager) Industry: Packaged Goods Job Category: Maintenance Years Experience:...
Clinical Counsellor Youth Mental Health and Substance Use (Virtual Clinic) - Foundry, Providence Health Care, 26 daysREQ: PHC20-123929 Work Area: Foundry - Virtual Services Base Site: No site description: 1380 City: Vancouver Status: Temporary Full Time End Date: Oct 31, 2021 FTE: 1.00 Wage: $34.95-43.58 Post...
Close PM Production Packaging Associate (Approx. 2:15pm-10:45pm) Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager) Industry: Packaged Goods Job...
Close Warehouse Associate Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager) Industry: Packaged Goods Job Category: Warehouse Years Experience: 1-2...
REQ: PHC20-123874 Work Area: SPH ER Base Site: St Paul's Hospital City: Vancouver Status: Regular Full Time FTE: 1.00 Wage: $35.53-46.65 Job Category: Registered Nurse Post date: Aug 31,...
REQ: PHC20-123951 Work Area: Assisted Living Base Site: Honoria Conway City: Vancouver Status: Temporary Part Time End Date: Mar 31, 2021 FTE: 0.73 Wage: $22.38-24.47 Job Category: Support...
Close Team Leader Sanitation Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career...
Clinical Counsellor Youth Mental Health and Substance Use (Virtual Clinic) - Foundry, Providence Health Care, 26 daysREQ: PHC20-123929 Work Area: Foundry - Virtual Services Base Site: No site description:...
Close PM Production Packaging Associate (Approx. 2:15pm-10:45pm) Job Posting Category:...
Close Warehouse Associate Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career...
REQ: PHC20-123874 Work Area: SPH ER Base Site: St Paul's...
REQ: PHC20-123951 Work Area: Assisted Living Base Site: Honoria...