Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Supervisor, Community Development functions as the primary Park Board management representative and effective team leader of teams responsible for the delivery of Access and Inclusion, Urban Park Activation Community Youth Development and acts as a liaison to Recreation staff to deliver these initiatives. This position develops the Urban Park Activation strategy, initiates planning, and program activities with local partner agencies including urban Indigenous communities to activate parks.
The position reports to the Manager Recreation Services the Supervisor, Community Development leads the Access and Inclusion staff team, Urban Park Activation team, Citywide Youth Services team. The position also works collaboratively with senior management and other staff at the Park Board, external government bodies, local residents and organizations, non-profit associations, community associations, volunteer groups, post-secondary education institutions, contractors, consultants, and community members.
In addition, this position liaises and provides Urban Park Activation, Access and Inclusion, and Youth Services leadership to staff who work within Recreation, and with relevant local agencies around planning and programming. This position prepares regular reports and presentations for Park Board Commissioners and attends Park Board Commissioners and City Council meetings on request.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides leadership in Park Activation, Access and Inclusion, and Youth Services focused training for Park Board staff, local associations, community and collegial organizations.
- Works collaboratively with partners on projects, initiatives and system changes that reduce barriers and create welcoming and inclusive spaces, programs and services.
- Develops the Urban Park Activation Strategy through a community development lens with the support of the Manager of Recreation Services. .
- Leads and facilitates cross- departmental initiatives and actions using collaborative and innovative partnership approaches to strengthen the relationships between the Park Board, City, local First Nations and urban Indigenous communities, community organizations, and other levels of government.
- Leads a team of community development professionals in identifying opportunities and facilitating projects and programs connecting non profits, staff and community to build park activation capacity in various Recreation disciplines including the arts, sports, social and through a decolonized lens .
Education and Experience:
- University degree in related field (e.g. Bachelor of Social Sciences, Bachelor of Child and Youth Care, Bachelor of Parks and Recreation Management or similar degree, etc.) supplemented by courses or experience in related areas such as business administration, human resources, recreation, education or, an equivalent combination of training, education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience gained through progressively more responsible positions with an emphasis on community development and related community engaged programs/initiatives.
- Experience working effectively with First Nations groups and urban Indigenous communities on complex issues.
- Experience working to advance Access and Inclusion and/or Community Youth development programs / initiatives.
- Experience supervising/managing, preferably within the public sector and/or unionized environment.
- Demonstrated experience in HR management, including recruiting, performance management, and in applying policies and collective agreements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of at least 2 of the following:
- Community development practices within recreational and social programs and services in complex and diverse communities
- Barriers to participation in public recreation facilities, programs and services (e.g. age, cultural, developmental, economic, gender, LGBTQI2+, physical etc.).
- Best practices for healthy boundaries, child protection, trauma informed care, harm reduction practices, risk management guidelines and associated legislation pertaining to Youth Services
- Thorough knowledge of complex youth related issues.
- Thorough knowledge of and demonstrated ability to work with civic, provincial and federal levels of government.
- Thorough knowledge and experience relating to federal and provincial legislation, acts and regulations related to portfolio and related programs e.g. early learning, youth, seniors.
- Working knowledge of Park Board and industry standards of practice relative to centralized services (e.g. Special Events, Sports Facility Use, Arts/Culture, Youth Services, Access and Inclusion etc.).
- Strong communications skills with the ability to formulate and articulate ideas and opinions.
- Excellent facilitation and public engagement skills.
Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Regular Full Time
Position Start Date:
Application Close: April 2, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion .
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 5 years or more
Req ID: 124274 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Close Retail Sales Leader - Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager) Industry: Packaged Goods Job...
Req ID: 122955 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Req ID: 123840 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
NTT Data Services is Hiring! Position's Overview At NTT DATA, we know that with the right people on board, anything is possible. The quality, integrity, and commitment of our employees are key...
Req ID: 122427 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative, and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Req ID: 124274 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
Close Retail Sales Leader - Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster Job Posting Category:...
Req ID: 122955 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
Req ID: 123840 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
NTT Data Services is Hiring! Position's Overview At NTT DATA, we know that with the right people...
Req ID: 122427 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative, and passionate...