The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position of Social Planner II - Renter Advocacy & Services Officer will focus on coordinating City efforts to directly meet renter needs and maximizing external partnerships with existing renter serving organizations and advocacy groups. The Housing Vancouver Strategy (2017) highlights the critical need to improve housing affordability, security and options for renters. The three year Housing Vancouver Action Plan includes a commitment to better administer, enforce, and monitor the City’s Tenant Relocation and Protection Policies, coordinate internal staff to improve City services for renters and rental tenure, and support and enhance external community-based rental supports and work with rental advocates to support renters impacted by renovation and redevelopment (Action Plan, Chapter 8, Action 2E).
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
This position reports to the Director of Affordable Housing, Arts, Culture and Community Services, as well as receives direction and support from a Senior Planner. The incumbent works with internal City departments, external renter serving organizations, private and non-profit housing providers, and other levels of government to improve equitable outcomes for renters in the City of Vancouver.
- Lead City staff and coordinate with external partners to provide support to renters impacted by renovation, redevelopment, standards of maintenance issues, and unfair eviction
- Convene a cross-department team to improve internal alignment and identify City service, plan and policy improvements to better support renters and rental tenure
- Review and refine existing policies, plans and services to improve equity in access to services and outcomes for low-income and marginalized renters (e.g. improving access to City of Vancouver information and data that can support renters seeking review by the Residential Tenancy Branch)
- Support and enhance external renter serving services and advocacy groups through project collaboration, training and/or non-profit grants for services or research
- Produce an Annual State of Renting/Renters Report, including the monitoring of existing City policies and services and the pace of change in the community
- Liaise with key external stakeholders, including TRAC, SRO Collaborative, BC Housing, Vancouver Coastal Health, Landlord BC and the non-profit sector to influence, affect and deliver broad system and policy changes that improve the lives of Vancouver’s renters
- Prepare and manage work programs, including supervising other professional and technical staff and external consultants
- Report writing, including complex Council reports; presenting complex material to staff, senior management, the public and City Council
- Develop and lead collaborative and robust approaches to engagement and communication with internal and external partners and the public that includes designing, attending and facilitating public processes in a sometimes contentious environment
- Employ a continuous improvement approach to the delivery of data collection & management and analysis, utilizing a diverse range of quantitative and qualitative analytical techniques - including survey development, economic analysis and provide robust assessments of options and outcomes
- Perform other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- A University degree in Planning or related studies, preferably a post-graduate degree, combined with considerable experience in and commitment to developing affordable housing and addressing homelessness.
- Knowledge of current housing policies of the City of Vancouver and other levels of government, or in areas of work directly related to the responsibilities of this position as well as municipal development approval processes and regulations is expected, and the existing landscape of government and non-profit rental advocacy.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience with strong technical skills and knowledge are required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizing and project management skills
- Strong knowledge of social and affordable housing legislative and policy context, including the Residential Tenancy Act, City of Vancouver Tenant Relocation and Protection Policies
- Up to date knowledge of social, economic, political, technological, demographic and environmental trends, factors and issues related to rental housing needs of different groups in Vancouver and Metro area
- An in-depth knowledge of the factors affecting housing supply and demand, including land use planning, land and development economics, social safety net policies, income distribution, and the influence of individual characteristics (e.g. physical disabilities, mental illness, alcohol/drug dependencies, gender, family status, ethnicity, etc.)
- Direct experience working with homeless residents, low-income and affordable housing communities is an asset
- Proven ability to adjust to a complex organizational structure with shifting priorities on highly politicized issues
- Considerable knowledge of project management philosophies and practices, including project scope, budgeting, scheduling, and coordination of team activities
- Strong communication skills (oral and written), including the ability to clearly articulate complex planning information to a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, professionals, non-profit organizations, advocacy groups and the public
- Ability to supervise staff assigned to various projects and direct the work of consultants engaged on social planning projects
- Ability to perform planning research and assess option feasibility through financial and social policy analysis
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a dynamic work environment.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict management skills
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues with diplomacy and tact
- Considerable experience with electronic spreadsheets, presentation and database software
Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
CUPE 15 Non Pks
Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date:
August 13, 2018
Position End Date:
August 13, 2019
: Pay Grade GR-031: $47.82 to $56.57 per hour
Application Close:July 27, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion .
Professional Categories: Planning & Development,Arts & Cultural Services,Community Services
Assistant General Manager, Notch8 Primary Location : Canada-Vancouver-The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver Employee Status : Regular Assistant General Manager, Notch8 At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts,...
Posting ID: 17552 Position Type: Regular/Full-Time City: Vancouver, BC, Canada Location: No Selection Who We Are: At Canfor, we know wood-based products can build a better world, whether...
Posting ID: 17581 Position Type: Regular/Full-Time City: Vancouver, BC, Canada Location: Vancouver H/O - Canfor/CWPM_1000 (BC13) Who We Are: At Canfor, we know wood-based products can...
Posting ID: 17584 Position Type: Regular/Full-Time City: Vancouver, BC, Canada Location: No Selection Who We Are: At Canfor, we know wood-based products can build a better world, whether...
Posting ID: 17583 Position Type: Regular/Full-Time City: Vancouver, BC, Canada Location: No Selection Who We Are: At Canfor, we know wood-based products can build a better world, whether...
Location(s): Canada City/Cities: Coquitlam Travel Required: Relocation Provided: Job Posting End Date: Shift: Position Overview: • Position is responsible for identifying and maximizing...
Assistant General Manager, Notch8 Primary Location : Canada-Vancouver-The Fairmont Hotel...
Posting ID: 17552 Position Type: Regular/Full-Time City: Vancouver, BC, Canada Location:...
Posting ID: 17581 Position Type: Regular/Full-Time City: Vancouver, BC, Canada Location:...
Posting ID: 17584 Position Type: Regular/Full-Time City: Vancouver, BC, Canada Location:...
Posting ID: 17583 Position Type: Regular/Full-Time City: Vancouver, BC, Canada Location:...
Location(s): Canada City/Cities: Coquitlam Travel Required: Relocation Provided: Job Posting End...