The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Planner II works as part of a planning team responsible for the development and implementation of land use policy, guidelines and bylaws in Long-Range and Strategic Planning in the Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability Department (PDS), Community Planning Division. Recent planning initiatives include: Cambie Corridor, Marpole, and Grandview-Woodland.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The successful applicant will be a part of the Community Planning group with a focus on transit-oriented development through future station area planning, as well as implementation of recently approved community plans (e.g., Cambie Corridor, Marpole). The applicant will work across City of Vancouver departments and with agency partners such as TransLink to effectively prepare and deliver area plans and policies, and implementation strategies involving complex, sometimes controversial urban issues. The emphasis will be on the preparation of land use and built form policies and regulations as well as policies relating to urban design, public realm planning, and amenity strategies. Also, the position will include reviewing rezoning applications for policy compliance.
Related duties include:
- Scoping, preparing and managing work programs;
- Supervising staff in a leadership capacity
- Report writing, including complex Council reports;
- Preparing and delivering complex material to staff, the public and City Council;
- Establishing collaborative working relationships with community organizations, businesses, residents, property owners, developers, agencies (e.g., TransLink, Metro Vancouver) and other stakeholders;
- Designing, attending and facilitating community events that could include community forums, workshops and meetings (including weekday evenings and weekends);
- Exercising considerable judgment and demonstrating professionalism, diplomacy, tact and discretion;
- Analyzing a wide variety of supporting data and information to assist in the recommendation of planning policy, including land use, demographic trends, public benefit needs assessments, economic studies and public surveys;
- Liaising with, and coordinating and synthesizing inputs from other divisions of the Planning Department and other City Departments;
- Managing consultancies and project budgets; and
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A university graduate degree in Planning and/or a related discipline
- Extensive and progressive municipal experience at a professional level (minimum of 2 years experience, 5 years preferred); or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The applicant should have a broad range of experience developing and managing work programs; developing and preparing policies, land use direction and built form regulations
- Demonstrated experience preparing policies that involve interrelationships between transportation, housing, job space, local economy, the public realm, public services, and the environment.
- Experience in transit-oriented development is an asset.
- Qualifications also include experience developing and implementing a range of engagement processes to include a broad range of public and stakeholder groups.
- The applicant will have the ability to clearly communicate complex planning issues through Council reports and presentations, and a demonstrated ability to deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitation and project scoping.
- Demonstrated experience in area planning and the ability to produce and communicate with visual materials is required.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- The applicant will demonstrate initiative and independent judgment in dealing with a variety of people and situations as well as be a leader who can develop teams and advance work programs within defined timelines and limited resources.
- Applicants should have a working knowledge of the City's land use By-Laws, Official Development Plans and land use policies, rezoning process, plus a broad knowledge of City services, programs and processes. Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planning is desirable
Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
# of Positions:
Regular Full Time
Application Close: September 28, 2018
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion .
Senior Regulatory Advisor - Indigenous Relations - LEG00355-18 Description Join our team The Indigenous Relations team of Government & Regulatory Affairs organization provides leadership, advice...
22 hours ago | Government/Industry Groups - Government, Policy and Legal - Operations, AgCareers.com, about 4 hoursMinistry of Agriculture Abbotsford Regional Team Lead - Coastal $67,495.11 - $84,301.57 annually Bring your strong leadership skills to this dynamic team environment The Sector Development Branch...
Sushi Cook 4 - RawBar Primary Location : Canada-Vancouver-Fairmont Pacific Rim Employee Status : Regular Do you want to... Work for the #1 city hotel in Canada, Be part of an extraordinary...
Assistant Banquet Manager Primary Location : Canada-Vancouver-The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver Employee Status : Regular Assistant Banquet Manager Engaging service, delicious cuisine and distinctive...
Senior Developer Analyst - Order Management - Technology Strategy & Business Transformation, TELUS Communications, 1 daySenior Developer Analyst - Order Management - Technology Strategy & Business Transformation - TEC10822-19 Description Ready to create innovative solutions and best practices? Join our team You...
Kitchen Steward - Part time Primary Location : Canada-Vancouver-Fairmont Pacific Rim Employee Status : Regular Kitchen Steward Every memorable dining experience at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts...
Senior Regulatory Advisor - Indigenous Relations - LEG00355-18 Description Join our team The...
22 hours ago | Government/Industry Groups - Government, Policy and Legal - Operations, AgCareers.com, about 4 hoursMinistry of Agriculture Abbotsford Regional Team Lead - Coastal $67,495.11 - $84,301.57...
Sushi Cook 4 - RawBar Primary Location : Canada-Vancouver-Fairmont Pacific Rim Employee...
Assistant Banquet Manager Primary Location : Canada-Vancouver-The Fairmont Hotel...
Senior Developer Analyst - Order Management - Technology Strategy & Business Transformation, TELUS Communications, 1 daySenior Developer Analyst - Order Management - Technology Strategy & Business...
Kitchen Steward - Part time Primary Location : Canada-Vancouver-Fairmont Pacific Rim Employee...