Requisition ID: 11732
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The City Design Studio is a multi-disciplinary urban design group within the Department of Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability – Long Range and Strategic Planning Division, that provides leadership and support in the physical design of Vancouver’s built environments. The successful candidate will become an integral part of the City Design Studio team and will help to shape the Studio’s direction in the coming years.
This is a complex professional urban design position with a focus on architecture and built form. The role includes leading built form studies and projects and supervision of junior professional staff. The successful candidate will co-ordinate, develop and implement urban design projects and consult with and advise other civic departments on matters related to major project assignments. The successful candidate will work in a collaborative way on large scale, multi-disciplinary urban design projects at the area and city scale and contribute to the CDS team in on-going research and innovation related to the built environment.
The City Design Studio is set up to foster collaboration within the Studio as well as with other groups and Departments at the City of Vancouver. The successful candidate will work in a collaborative team environment to both lead and support various City initiatives.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position will report to the Special Advisor, City Design Studio and the supervising Senior Planner/Planner on specific projects.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the City Design Studio, the Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability Department, and other City Departments
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate, develop and implement built form studies and urban design projects
- Lead the conceptualization, development, testing, and refinement of urban design concepts and built form scenarios
- Lead the exploration of building typologies, character and urban form
- Supervise junior professional, technical, and clerical staff engaged in the work.
- Liaise with Housing, Development and Design Review and Major Projects to develop
- Write reports, writing, facilitate meetings , and present to other staff, management and stakeholders
- Provide professional urban design/built form input for selected major projects and area plans, as well as expertise on special projects involving physical city-building issues or projects of particular public interest
- Attend public consultation processes, including facilitating community events that could include community forums, workshops and meetings (including weekday evenings and weekends)
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in Urban Design, Architecture or related degree with experience similar to the duties required.
- Preferably a post-graduate degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Design or Community and Regional Planning.
- Minimum 7 years professional experience in architecture and urban design including experience in the private sector with demonstrated experience in the design of large scale projects or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working in a design capacity on a range of building typologies including residential, commercial and civic buildings
- Experience integrating various layers of urban design (including built form, land use, open space, transportation and infrastructure)
- Experience working across scales
- Demonstrated systems-based approach
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal, public engagement and communications skills while engaging with other planning staff and members of the community.
- The candidate must be able to work independently and participate successfully on work teams and with the public, and to complete assignments using sound professional techniques and judgement.
- Demonstrated design ability with an emphasis on large scale projects and a range of building typologies.
- Demonstrated teamwork, facilitation, project management and communications skills, together with considerable skill in collaborative decision making, negotiation, conflict resolution, interest-based problem solving, and demonstrated ability to achieve multiple program objectives within defined timelines are essential.
- Ability to develop planning policies, regulations and guidelines.
- Apply skill and versatility in design, sound judgement and independent action within the parameters of work assignments, planning policies, by-laws and design guidelines
- Work independently at a professional urban designer level to produce a product that requires minimal detailed review
- Work will be assigned verbally or in writing with the Planner exercising some independent judgement in planning and executing the work
- Work cooperatively with a project team and will be accountable for deliverables and following timelines and work plans
- Ability to facilitate public consultation processes.
- Demonstrated initiative and independent judgment in dealing with a variety of people and situations.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgement and must demonstrate professionalism, diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- Full working knowledge of GIS, AutoCAD, Sketchup, Rhino, Grasshopper and the Adobe Creative Suite is desirable.
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $47.82 to $56.57 per hour
Application Close: August 12, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion .
THE OPPORTUNITY The Senior User Experience Designer is responsible for crafting experiences over web, mobile, and in the physical space; leading design from conception to implementation. They will...
Category:Development/Engineering City: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Employment Type: Full Time Position Description: Founded in 1976, CGI is one of the worlds largest IT and business...
Job ID: JR0079150 Job Category: Engineering Primary Location: Vancouver, BC CA Other Locations: Job Type: Experienced Hire SoC Design Engineer Job Description Oversees definition CPU subsystem...
ESRI Senior Developer-FC0066245 Description Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and communication technology company and a leading provider of IT products and services including hardware,...
AECOM is actively seeking a creative, highly talented Planner/GIS Technician for a role within AECOM's integrated Transportation and Buildings & Places team, where you will work with a...
REQ: PHC18-115052 Work Area: Mission Services Base Site: Hornby Street City: Vancouver Status: Temporary Part Time End Date: May 17, 2019 FTE: 0.30 Job...
THE OPPORTUNITY The Senior User Experience Designer is responsible for crafting experiences over...
Category:Development/Engineering City: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Employment Type: Full...
Job ID: JR0079150 Job Category: Engineering Primary Location: Vancouver, BC CA Other...
ESRI Senior Developer-FC0066245 Description Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and...
AECOM is actively seeking a creative, highly talented Planner/GIS Technician for a role within...
REQ: PHC18-115052 Work Area: Mission Services Base Site: Hornby...