Requisition ID: 11731
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The City Design Studio is a multi-disciplinary urban design group within the Department of Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability – Long Range and Strategic Planning Division, that provides leadership in the physical design of Vancouver’s built environments.
This is a professional city planning and design position involving the investigation and development of solutions related to urban design. The successful candidate will assist in the creation of integrated urban design concepts and contribute substantially to the research and communication of best practices related to resilient urban design. In carrying out these duties, the employee in this position will prepare reports and presentations and may work independently or supervise a limited number of junior staff.
The City Design Studio is set up to foster collaboration within the Studio as well as with other groups and Departments at the City of Vancouver. The successful candidate will work in a collaborative team environment to support urban design initiatives within the City Design Studio.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position will report to the Special Advisor, City Design Studio and the supervising Senior Planner/Planner on specific projects.
- Apply skill and versatility in design, sound judgement and independent action within the parameters of work assignments, planning policies, by-laws and design guidelines
- Work under the guidance of the Planner II to deliver urban design investigations, particularly related to resilient neighbourhood design.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, develop, test and refinement of urban design concepts
- Contribute to the development of urban design strategies for special projects
- local areas and city-wide frameworks
- Write reports and present to other staff, management and stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with representatives from the Planning, Parks Board and the Engineering Department to develop holistic urban design strategies on major projects and large scale area planning programs
- Work cooperatively with a project team and will be accountable for deliverables and following timelines and work plans
- Exercise good judgement and demonstrate professionalism, diplomacy, tact and discretion
- Attend public consultation processes, including community events that could include community forums, workshops and meetings (including weekday evenings and weekends)
Education and Experience:
- Post-Secondary graduate degree in Urban Design, Architecture or related university degree with experience similar to the duties required
- Minimum 4 years professional experience in urban design and built form including experience in the private sector with demonstrated experience in conceptualizing, modeling, analyzing and visualizing urban design concepts at the district scale
- Experience working in a design capacity on a range of urban design typologies including built form and public realm
- Experience working across scales
- Demonstrated systems-based approach
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Strong design skills with an emphasis on the urban design
- Superior 3D modeling and analysis skills particularly at the district scale
- Superior graphic communication skills with demonstrated skill in graphic design, visualizations and the use of compelling images to communicate design ideas
- Strong interpersonal, public engagement and communications skills
- The candidate must be able to work independently and participate successfully on work teams and with the public, and to complete assignments using sound professional techniques and judgement.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the City Design Studio, the Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability Department, and other City Departments
- Work independently at a professional urban designer level to produce a product that requires minimal detailed review.
- Work will be assigned verbally or in writing with the Planner exercising some independent judgement in planning and executing the work
- Demonstrated teamwork
- Full working knowledge of Rhino, Grasshopper, AutoCAD, Sketchup, and the Adobe Creative Suite is desirable.
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $43.95 to $51.97 per hour
Application Close: August 12, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion .
THE OPPORTUNITY The Senior User Experience Designer is responsible for crafting experiences over web, mobile, and in the physical space; leading design from conception to implementation. They will...
Job ID: JR0079150 Job Category: Engineering Primary Location: Vancouver, BC CA Other Locations: Job Type: Experienced Hire SoC Design Engineer Job Description Oversees definition CPU subsystem...
Category:Development/Engineering City: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Employment Type: Full Time Position Description: Founded in 1976, CGI is one of the worlds largest IT and business...
AECOM is actively seeking a creative, highly talented Planner/GIS Technician for a role within AECOM's integrated Transportation and Buildings & Places team, where you will work with a...
ESRI Senior Developer-FC0066245 Description Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and communication technology company and a leading provider of IT products and services including hardware,...
Job Description Responsibilities This position reports to the Manager, Major Roads & Highways Processing of project base map and survey information including setting up all project basemap x-refs...
THE OPPORTUNITY The Senior User Experience Designer is responsible for crafting experiences over...
Job ID: JR0079150 Job Category: Engineering Primary Location: Vancouver, BC CA Other...
Category:Development/Engineering City: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Employment Type: Full...
AECOM is actively seeking a creative, highly talented Planner/GIS Technician for a role within...
ESRI Senior Developer-FC0066245 Description Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and...
Job Description Responsibilities This position reports to the Manager, Major Roads &...