The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Payroll & Benefits Supervisor is responsible for the management and full-cycle administration of the payroll for all Seed locations, developing and maintaining policies, procedures and processes for a variety of payroll, benefits, human resources and record retention functions, managing and administering the payroll related processes as they pertain to financial operations (budgets, GL’s, reconciliations), developing and updating the compensation strategy, management of the HR Analyst role and responsibilities, and spearheading and participating in special projects as required.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Full-cycle management and administration of the Seed’s semi-monthly payroll which includes:
- All calculation and data entry relating to employee changes, new hires, leave of absences and terminations within the Payworks system
- Record and prepare manual adjustments, retro pay, bonus payments, and cash advances
- Calculate and prepare final pay and ROE’s for terminating employees
- Administration of absence management
- In coordination with Finance, identify and record employee taxable benefits
- Ensure internal controls/audit trails are in place for all payroll processes
- Respond to inquiries from internal and external stakeholders (Service Canada, CRA, WCB, Employees, Directors, etc.) in a timely and professional manner
- Perform all year end processes including T4’s audits, adjustments and production
- Perform year end and financial reconciliations
- Complete WCB Annual Return
- Keep current on changes to legislation that impact payroll, HR or benefit related functions
- Manage all payroll audit inquiries from internal and external stakeholders
- Audit, administer and post all payroll journal entries
- Prepare cost analysis reports for Finance, HR and Executive
- Reconcile payroll related general ledger accounts
- Prepare the annual salary budget for consideration and support of projected budget numbers for the new fiscal year
- In coordination with the HR Analyst, administer the group benefits and corporate pension plan
- Review, audit and reconcile all invoices/statements from benefit providers
- Communicate with providers to resolve issues
- Strategize methods to provide better understanding around benefits eligibility, claim processes, plan design and features for all internal stakeholders
Records and Process Management
- Create, update and maintain payroll procedures
- In coordination with HR, build process and policy around records management as it pertains to employee records
- In coordination with the Director of HR and the HR Team, develop and maintain the compensation grid for the Seed
- Create strategic reporting for various HR, benefit and finance related processes that provide efficient and meaningful metrics
- Develop and maintain the compensation strategy
- Provide day-to-day oversight, coaching and mentoring to the HR Analyst
- Identify process improvement initiatives and spearhead, collaborate or assist process and document development
- Build communication and knowledge among all internal stakeholders to foster a better understanding of payroll, benefits, human resource, finance and records management compliances and best practices
- Promote database utilization and management; develop business practices and processes that support database integrity
- Foster the opportunity to build cross-functionality within the HR Team; absorb responsibility as mandated by the Director of HR and assist in building procedures that further develop the cross-functionality of the group
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- PCP Designation with the Canadian Payroll Association
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- A minimum of five years of experience performing full-cycle payroll administration for companies of 250 employees or more
- Experience administering pension and benefits programs
- Experience with financial and budgeting processes
- Proficient knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite with advance knowledge of Excel preferred
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy
- High degree of confidentiality and discretion
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Ability to communicate effectively, with strong interpersonal skills
- Proactive in assessing and achieving goals and objectives
- Prior process and people management experience – Preferred but not required
- Desk duty, minimal travel for training if necessary
- Excellent professional office working environment
- Flex time hours Monday to Friday
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/ )
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Are you looking to work for an Alberta Top Employer? Do you value innovation, teamwork, strong work ethic and a positive attitude? This opportunity is perfect for the individual looking to get...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 25746 Job Overview Are you passionate about joining a dynamic team in Calgary to support a groundbreaking project across the entire Human Resources...
Employee Type: Regular-Full time WE= unlimited potential We didn’t get to be a leader in energy delivery or ranked on the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations index on our own. We did it in...
At MNP we pride ourselves on being different – it’s our entrepreneurial drive that sets us apart. It’s the same drive that’s helped us become Canada’s fastest growing national firm. We foster...
Senior Principal Squad Leader - (ECR000139) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC industry and ranked as the #2 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine for...
Job Description: Location: Calgary, AB Salary: $25.00 to $27.00 / hour Vacancies: 1 Vacancy Terms of employment: Permanent, Full time 40 hours / week Start date: As soon as possible Job...
Are you looking to work for an Alberta Top Employer? Do you value innovation, teamwork, strong...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 25746 Job Overview Are you passionate about...
Employee Type: Regular-Full time WE= unlimited potential We didn’t get to be a leader in energy...
At MNP we pride ourselves on being different – it’s our entrepreneurial drive that sets us...
Senior Principal Squad Leader - (ECR000139) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC...
Job Description: Location: Calgary, AB Salary: $25.00 to $27.00 / hour Vacancies: 1...