CUPE Job Posting #870719
Position: Patient Care Assistant
Site: Toronto Western Hospital
Department: 4B General Internal Medicine (Temporarily on 8A)
Reports To: Nurse Manager
Scale/Grade: Level T0:56
Wage Schedule: $24.54 - $25.31 per hour (Start rate: $24.54 per hour in accordance with collective agreement requirements).
Hours: Up to 22.5 hours per week; Shifts: Days/Evenings/Weekends
Status: Permanent Part Time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Patient Care Assistant in our General Internal Medicine Unit.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto General Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
A world leader in neural and sensory science, Toronto Western Hospital has a strong community and population health program, providing innovative programs for and information to seniors, diabetes patients, and many multicultural groups. Toronto Western Hospital has been serving the health care needs of its culturally diverse local community for more than 100 years. Today, the hospital provides highly specialized tertiary care to people from surrounding areas and across Canada.
The Patient Care Assistant participates in direct and indirect patient care activities in order to carry out the multidisciplinary care plan. The scope of activities are directed and assigned by the RN. To support the provision of excellent patient care, the principal responsibilities of the Patient Care Assistant include: performing basic patient care functions which contribute to the implementation of the multidisciplinary care plan; assisting with patient nutritional needs; contributing to the patient information collection/documentation process; practicing infection control and safety measures to maintain the highest standard of patient care/safety; ensuring a clean and safe environment for patient care/treatment; contributing to patient assessment; performing transportation function; performing departmental duties, following strict adherence to confidentiality policies; performing cross-functional and other duties consistent with the job classification or clinical specialty, as required.
- Completion of Grade XII, or equivalent
- Completion of a Health Care Aide/PSW Program at the certificate level required
- Recent six (6) months direct patient care experience
- Completion of a Basic Cardiac Life Support (B.C.L.S.) program
- Ability to speak, read, write and comprehend the English language
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation
- Knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (W.H.M.I.S.)
- Knowledge of Hospital and departmental policies, procedures, guidelines, protocols and practices
- Knowledge of Emergency Assistance Code
- Demonstrated independence, a positive attitude and the willingness to work effectively in a team
- Ability to facilitate unit functioning and smooth patient care flow
- Ability to maintain a consistent level of productivity and efficiency
- Ability to perform responsibilities in a courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards
- Awareness of Patient Centered Care
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job required including: ability to stand, stoop, walk, bend, lift, push, pull and reach without any physical discomfort on a continuous basis; transferring patients with appropriate assistance; ability to stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift in excess of 40 kg
- May be required to work at multiple areas as well as rotating shifts in emergency situations
Posted Date: February 11, 2021 Closing date: February 18, 2021
If you are interested in this position, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Location: UK, US (East Coast), Canada, Poland (home-based) Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to work within a dynamic, collaborative environment with a team committed to being an...
Close Retail Representative - Part-time - Toronto & North York Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager) Industry: Packaged Goods Job...
Close Sr Customer Development Leader Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Manager Industry: Packaged Goods Job Category: Marketing,Sales Years Experience: 8-10...
About Influitive Influitive is your strategic partner in customer marketing. Our SaaS product and professional services help companies discover, nurture, and mobilize their advocates to accelerate...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro Ingram Micro helps businesses fully realize the promise of technology.TM No other company delivers the full spectrum of global technology and supply...
Req ID: 113886 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Location: UK, US (East Coast), Canada, Poland (home-based) Are you looking for an exciting...
Close Retail Representative - Part-time - Toronto & North York Job Posting Category: Experienced...
Close Sr Customer Development Leader Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+...
About Influitive Influitive is your strategic partner in customer marketing. Our SaaS product...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro Ingram Micro helps businesses fully realize the promise...
Req ID: 113886 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...