Please note that while you may notice the UHN logo or a reference to UHN in this posting, UHN is only hosting this online application on behalf of The Canadian Partnership Against Cancer (the Partnership). The successful candidate will be employed by the Partnership.
Position: Manager, Research and Innovation (Level 7)
Location: Downtown Toronto (work from home until further notice)
The Canadian Partnership Against Cancer (the Partnership) is the steward of the Canadian Strategy for Cancer Control (the Strategy). Its work is guided by the Strategy, which was refreshed for 2019 to 2029 and will help drive measurable change for all Canadians affected by cancer and a future where fewer people get cancer, more people survive cancer and those living with the disease have a better quality of life.
The Partnership works with those on the front lines of cancer care, and people living with the disease, to make system-level changes that improve all aspects of the cancer continuum from prevention, screening and diagnosis through to treatment, clinical care, palliative care and survivorship. Partners include provincial and territorial governments, cancer agencies, health organizations, health-care professionals, people living with cancer and those who care for them, as well as First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities, governments and organizations.
The Partnership’s work is guided by a commitment to reducing inequities in cancer care for underserviced people in Canada such as those living in rural and remote areas, those with low income and new immigrants, and addressing First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples-specific cancer control priorities and actions, outlined in the Strategy, reflecting Canada’s commitment to reconciliation.
The Partnership is funded by Health Canada. Learn more about the impact being made by the Partnership with partners across Canada at: www.partnershipagainstcancer.ca .
The Partnership’s Cancer Systems, Performance and Innovation (CSPI) Division drives improvements in Canada’s cancer system through data, research, economic modelling and innovations such as digital healthcare. This division monitors emerging health technologies and leverages data systems to determine gaps and opportunities for improvements in cancer care and informs internal partners on innovative approaches, international best practice and compelling evidence to support key partnership decision making.
The Research and Innovation team, part of the CSPI division, promotes cancer research across Canada as well as driving the adoption of innovative approaches. It supports this work through its role as the Executive Office of the Canadian Cancer Research Alliance (CCRA) and its activities scanning international and academic best practice.
Overview of Role
The Manager, Research & Innovation supports the Cancer Systems, Performance & Innovation Division in carrying out projects and initiatives to achieve organizational priorities. Reporting to the Director, Research & Innovation, the Manager leads delivery of program/project objectives. As a highly organized professional with strong management skills, this position delivers on the tasks of the job while contributing to the Partnership’s overall vision to reduce the burden of cancer on all Canadians.
In all that we do, Research and Innovation seeks to promote equity and justice across all communities through our work with others and in our work together. Internally, we promote a flexible, inclusive culture that prioritizes diversity of thought and experience whilst inviting constructive challenge. We actively seek to widen our perspectives, networks and capabilities. We welcome all applications including those from individuals with non-traditional experience or who identify as part of an under-represented community. We value flexible working and support this at all levels of our team.
Program Specific Responsibilities
• Plays a leadership role in helping to develop and provide oversight for the organization strategy for research and innovation, including the management of research and innovative related activities that advance the priorities and actions of the Canadian Strategy for Cancer Control
• Proactively engages with internal and external partners and stakeholders to identify, develop, and implement innovative pan-Canadian programs and initiatives to promote the integration of cancer control and cancer research
• Collaborates with others to develop and monitor Research and Innovation project milestones, timelines, budgets, risks and contracts to ensure programmatic objectives and outcomes are met
• Collaborates with others to manage the planning, development, communication and completion of knowledge transfer and exchange activities and products
• Drives innovation within the Partnership to achieve maximum productivity and synergies between programs and projects. Identifies and leads opportunities for improvement
• Complements the work of the Program Manager, Canadian Cancer Research Alliance, by building and maintaining external relationships throughout the scientific and research communities both nationally and internationally.
• Keeps abreast of trends and best practice in cancer care, and identifies opportunities for advancing the Partnership’s priorities. Oversees and facilitates pan-Canadian meetings to engage partners in the advancement of the Partnership’s priorities
• Works with the First Nations, Inuit and Métis Lead to advance First Nations, Inuit and Métis governed and led research priorities in the Canadian Strategy of Cancer Control
• Manages the planning, development, and execution of evaluation activities as appropriate
• Facilitates the integration of expert advice into program/project work to further organizational outcomes
• Supports the Director in program planning, including the development of the annual work plan and budget, long term plans, and determining the outcomes of projects/programs
• Acts as a primary contact and source of information, as appropriate, for internal and external stakeholders regarding program/project content, status, and findings
• Works closely with others to contribute content expertise to project opportunity assessments and project plans, and ensures alignment with the Partnership’s goals and priorities
• Manages related external partner agreements, workplans, and vendor contracts
• Oversees and actively contributes to progress reporting as required for senior management, the Board of Directors and Health Canada
• Leads and supports staff to implement projects and achieve team objectives
• Coaches and develops staff through the annual performance management process
• Prepares and presents content and/or represents the Research and Innovation team at meetings, both internal and external, and/or conferences and other forums as directed
• Assists the Director with other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned
The Partnership’s core competencies are a key element to reviewing performance. While the duties and responsibilities of a position tell you the “what,” the competencies tell you the “how.” We have developed five universal competencies which we expect to be exhibited by all employees regardless of level or position, as well as five leadership competencies which we expect to be exhibited by staff in people management positions.
• Inclusive – values diversity and applies an equity lens; consciously thinks about who needs to be included
• Agile – is constantly adapting to partners, priorities and outcomes; is committed to continuous learning and improvement; promotes new ways of doing things
• Collaborative – partners and builds strong relationships; works effectively with team members, focusing on delivering individual contributions to meet collective outcomes
• Outcomes-focused – focuses on the ultimate impact, priorities work with a focus on underserved groups
• Systems-thinking – connects the dots between their work and the broader system, has political acuity
• Inspiring – cultivates a common purpose, building energy for change
• Empowering – builds capability and removes barriers to success
• Influential – builds and leverages strong relationships, driving action without authority
• Results-oriented – delivers value from budgets and resources
• Strategic – thinks ahead; focuses on what’s important; knows when to act
Experience and Qualifications
• Undergraduate degree in Health Sciences, or other relevant discipline, or a combination of comparable education and experience in a related field
• Minimum 7 years’ experience, preferably in policy, technology healthcare, or a related field (candidates with breaks in employment are welcome, candidates with fewer years of highly relevant experience will be considered)
• Experience with project planning and process development with an ability to anticipate organizational priorities
• Experience engaging with a diverse group of stakeholders to achieve or create change
• Proficient in Microsoft 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams, OneDrive)
• Experience in the following is highly desirable but not mandatory:
• Project management experience, PMP designation
• Working in an ambiguous or political environment
• Embedding innovation within a healthcare system
• Applied or translational research
• Regulation of emerging technology
• Bilingual in both English and French is an asset
January 27, 2021
If you are interested in applying to this position, please attach your CV and cover letter combined in one file to the application.
The Canadian Partnership Against Cancer thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Canadian Partnership Against Cancer is an organization committed to ensuring accessible services and communications to individuals with disabilities. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please call 416-915-9222 or email us at TM@partnershipagainstcancer.ca .
Close Category Manager Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager) Industry: Packaged Goods Job Category: Marketing,Sales,Category...
Close Brand Manager, Snacks Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Manager Industry: Packaged Goods Job Category: Marketing Years Experience: 6-8 Years Job Type:...
Close Senior Manager, Sales Operations and Customer Experience Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Manager Industry: Packaged Goods Job Category: Sales Years...
Close Portfolio Manager Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Manager Industry: Packaged Goods Job Category: Market Research,Category Management Years...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro Ingram Micro helps businesses fully realize the promise of technology.TM No other company delivers the full spectrum of global technology and supply...
At SoundHound Inc., we believe every brand should have a voice. As the leading innovator of conversational technologies, we’re trusted by top brands around the globe. Houndify, our independent...
Close Category Manager Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level:...
Close Brand Manager, Snacks Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career...
Close Senior Manager, Sales Operations and Customer Experience Job Posting Category: Experienced...
Close Portfolio Manager Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level:...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro Ingram Micro helps businesses fully realize the promise...
At SoundHound Inc., we believe every brand should have a voice. As the leading innovator of...