The Dow Chemical Company has an exciting opportunity for an Instrument Designer in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta.
The Instrumentation Designer will work closely with an engineering team to deliver scope, design strategy, and construction and commissioning packages for instrumentation portion of projects. As a member of our Technical Support Group, the Instrumentation Designer will provide solid technical solutions for upgrades, replacements and new installations of instrumentation equipment. The successful candidate can provide Professional review and authentication of instrumentation drawings.
- The Instrument Designer is responsible for all instrument aspects on multi-discipline projects.
- Develops scope, cost estimate, schedule, design strategy and determines resources needed on instrument projects.
- Applies engineering principles to perform engineering / design calculations, sizing and selection of instruments. Conduits, cable trays and wire sizing done according National Electrical Code (NEC) and Dow standards.
- Prepares basic specifications detailing performance and design requirements, applicable design codes such as electrical area classification, and vendor drawing requirements. Prepares material orders (MST’s) for inquiring and ordering instrumentation.
- Prepares sketches and performs calculations for specific segments of a project.
- Evaluates vendor bids and drawings to assure compliance with specifications.
- Designs instrument systems that are safe, reliable, economical, constructible, and maintainable in accordance with Dow standards and work processes. Systems will include both new installations and modernization of existing facilities. Systems will incorporate multiple areas of instrument technology.
- Coordinates activities of other design team members as needed to accomplish project goals and schedule.
- Uses computer aided design tools to create complex detail design drawings.
- Creates instrument specification sheets, scope of work document, and instrument schedules used for construction bid packages.
- Exchanges technical information with peers, other engineering disciplines, and suppliers.
- Evaluates Dow design standards for correctness, applicability, and relevance to particular instrument installations. Submits Management of Change (MOC) documents to correct existing design standards or to create new ones.
- Provides engineering field support on construction projects when requested by the Owner’s Representative or plant.
- Reviews and checks inter-disciplines bid/construction packages.
- Attends and participates in project team meetings, including inter-disciplines and final team checks.
- Site field verification, field measurements, field engineering, and construction support
- Willing and able to pursue Professional Licensee status with APEGA.
- 5 or more years of experience in an Instrument Design role.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of instrument sizing and selection programs, instrument specification and procurement programs, instrument databases, wiring methods, and accepted installation practices including global installation details.
- Previous experience creating detail design drawings and documentation used for construction bid packages and for inquiring/ordering instrumentation.
- Previous experience with instrument design and bid package development using Instrument Computer Aided Design Tools.
- Proficient in the following: SPI (Smart Plant Instrumentation – Intools), SP3D, Microstation
- Has the ability to plan and organize work effectively while working on several projects simultaneously.
- Provide oversight during the construction phase including occasional site visits.
- Willing and able to work in team setting and get along with others with diverse backgrounds. Must be able to exchange ideas and information in a one-on-one and in a group environment.
- Able to do field work in an operating chemical plant and take field measurements.
- Be proficient in computers to perform job tasks.
- Effectively interacts with multiple functions and diverse individuals to achieve goals.
- Demonstrates excellent decision making skills, ability to prioritize appropriately.
- Effectively manages multiple competing priorities.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Strong multi-tasking, problem solving and time management skills.
- Able to work with independently with minimal supervision with in an empowered team environment.
- Strong work ethic.
- Current, valid Canadian drivers license.
- Have a high regard for personal safety and the safety of others.
- A minimum requirement for this Canada based position is the ability to work legally in the Canada. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position.
Able to meet the following physical demands of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Wear all required personal protective equipment, including but not limited to respirator.
- 10 or more years of experience in an Instrument Design role.
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- Technical Diploma in Instrumentation is required.
At Dow, diversity and inclusion are inherent in our work environment. We are committed to building a vibrant, diverse and talented employee base -- and helping each employee grow and develop as part of Dow's inclusive global community. Dow has an accommodation process in place to support employees with disabilities.
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at www.dow-dupont.com .
The positions represented by this job posting are aligned to one of the three divisions, Agriculture, Materials Science or Specialty Products, which are expected to separate from DowDuPont into stand-alone public companies. Information on the division alignment will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
- An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
- Employee stock ownership - and the commitment to long-term success that it brings
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
- Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
- The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
- Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
- Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us , you may call us at 1+800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1+989-636-3674.
North America-Canada-Alberta-Fort Saskatchewan
Oil + Gas CAN - Alberta Fort Saskatchewan Job Summary AECOM is seeking an Instrumentation Technician Journeyman to be based in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta. This position will install, maintain and...
Job Summary AECOM is seeking an Instrumentation Technician Journeyman to be based in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta. This is a temporary shutdown opporunity. This position will install, maintain and...
Mission Secondary School Teaching Positions Our school staff will collectively support all learners so they will achieve the essential learning outcomes by implementing Response to Intervention...
10 hours ago | Agribusiness - Chemical, Pesticide and Fertilizer - Specialists, AgCareers.com, about 3 hoursSenior Specialist, Electrical Projects Why work at Nutrien? Great question! Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more...
10 hours ago | Agribusiness - Chemical, Pesticide and Fertilizer - Operations, AgCareers.com, about 2 hoursElectrical Technologist, Projects Why work at Nutrien? Great question! Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more...
Position Summary: Reporting to the QA Supervisor in the Fort Saskatchewan, this position is responsible for assuring that all products produced, consistently meet or exceed company standards and...
Oil + Gas CAN - Alberta Fort Saskatchewan Job Summary AECOM is seeking an Instrumentation...
Job Summary AECOM is seeking an Instrumentation Technician Journeyman to be based in Fort...
Mission Secondary School Teaching Positions Our school staff will collectively support all...
10 hours ago | Agribusiness - Chemical, Pesticide and Fertilizer - Specialists, AgCareers.com, about 3 hoursSenior Specialist, Electrical Projects Why work at Nutrien? Great question! Safety is a core...
10 hours ago | Agribusiness - Chemical, Pesticide and Fertilizer - Operations, AgCareers.com, about 2 hoursElectrical Technologist, Projects Why work at Nutrien? Great question! Safety is a core value at...
Position Summary: Reporting to the QA Supervisor in the Fort Saskatchewan, this position is...