Finding efficient, safe, and economical ways to develop and deliver oil and gas is an on-going challenge. From the Arctic to the Canadian oil sands and the US shale plays, our Oil & Gas team partners with clients to provide engineering, procurement, construction management (EPCM), permitting, survey, and environmental services across the upstream, midstream, and downstream oil and gas industry. We design facilities, pipelines, terminals, and refineries, as well as critical infrastructure like processing plants and field facilities. Through our partnerships, industry experience, and use of technology, we develop new and inventive ways to solve emerging issues, meet regulations, and increase productivity. Explore your career options with us.
Stantec is currently searching for Geotechnical Instrumentation Technician T1 on a full time basis on rotation in the field, reporting out of the Calgary office. This is a non-exempt position; any overtime hours worked will be remunerated based on provincial employment regulations.
Under the supervision of the Site Supervisor, the Instrumentation Technician is responsible for completing operations maintenance and surveillance monitoring tasks for earthen structures at active mine sites and civil earthwork projects. This position will work independently in the field with support from their Field Supervisor and Project Manager.
This is a field position, work schedules will be based on project specific requirements and will require rotations of 12-hour shifts (day/night), as well as travel to remote field locations. Travel costs endured while traveling to from the project will only be covered from approved locations (Calgary and Edmonton).
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for:
- Participating and following site-specific Health Safety Environment (HSE) policies and that the safety standard procedures are strictly adhered to with the goal of achieving zero workplace incidents and promotion of a safe work environment for all.
- Participating in daily tailgate meetings.
- Documenting significant events or observations related to the job (i.e. Environmental, HazID, Job Observations, etc.).
- Commissioning/initializing, extend, lower, provide assistance in trenching, and otherwise modify geotechnical and/or hydrogeological instruments/wells
- Assisting and performing proper decommissioning/abandonment of geotechnical and hydrogeological wells/instruments
- Taking readings from vibrating wire piezometers, pneumatic piezometers, standpipes, transducers, flow meters and pumping wells
- Maintaining observation instruments as appropriate. Typical tasks may include, but are not limited to winterization and miscellaneous maintenance (e.g. removal of water from slope inclinometers, repairing casing caps, guards and other surface appurtenances)
- Programming, installing and downloading information from data loggers
- Taking readings from slope inclinometers, in-place inclinometers and SAAs
- Performing maintenance and troubleshooting on cables, data loggers, and automated data acquisition system
- Conducting standard hydrogeological field testing on pumping and monitoring wells
- Collecting water samples from monitoring wells, pumping wells, and surface infrastructure
- Entering, maintaining, and updating instrumentation data files and drawings as directed
- Adhering to quality control, documentation, and data management procedures
- Contributing to standardized procedures and policies, as well as the identification and execution of shared goals and objectives
- Troubleshooting technical issues in the field to consistently deliver high quality results
As an ideal candidate, you will possess the following:
- Working knowledge of geotechnical material testing equipment and soil sampling
- Operating light vehicles (4x4 pickups) and/or all-terrain vehicles to gain access to instruments located in potentially remote areas
- Identifying and engaging with key stakeholders to gather information and background
- Identifying and reporting hazards and unsafe conditions and seek to improve safety with reference to known policies and procedures
- Developed understanding of radiation safety, policies and procedures
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft office suite of programs, Loggernet, Vista Data Vision, and Gtilt Plus
- Post-Secondary Technical Diploma in geological, civil, or mining disciplines
- Minimum 1 year of relevant industry experience including mine driving experience
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License with current Driver’s Abstract
- Additional qualification requirements depending on project
- Professional designation with either the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) or the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC) is considered an asset.
This position has minimum physical requirements as outlined in the Stantec's Field Physical Demands Assessment. A fit for duty assessment is required prior to deployment in the field and is a condition of employment. Additional physical demands may be required and will be defined in the Project Specific HSE plans. This position requires a pre-access drug and alcohol testing and criminal background check.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in the position. Calls regarding this position will not be accepted, as all recruiting activities are managed via our Recruitment Management System. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Stantec is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Not ready to apply or not sure if we currently have an open position that would be your perfect fit? You can still connect with us so we can keep you updated on opportunities that match your skills and experience.
Vous n’êtes pas prêt(e) à envoyer votre candidature ou ne savez pas si nous avons actuellement un poste ouvert qui serait adapté à vos compétences? Vous pouvez toujours communiquer avec nous et nous vous informerons des possibilités qui correspondent à vos compétences et à votre expérience.
Staffing and Recruitment Agencies
Stantec appreciates the interest from the staffing industry, however, unsolicited resumes submitted to Stantec or any Stantec employee without a current and valid staffing agency contract in place with Stantec will not be eligible for any search fees. At this time, Stantec is not welcoming any additional inquiries for agency partnerships.
Agences de recrutement et de dotation
Stantec apprécie l’intérêt porté par les agences de dotation de personnel. Toutefois, tout curriculum vitae non-sollicité envoyé à Stantec ou à un employé de Stantec qui n’est pas lié à un contrat actuel et valide avec une agence ne pourra donner droit à des frais de recherche. En ce moment, Stantec n’est pas à la recherche de nouveaux partenariats avec des agences de dotation de personnel.
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 24550 Job Overview Reporting to the manager, downstream crude optimization, you will play a key role in supporting our Montréal refinery to optimize...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 23367 Job Overview Reporting to the manager, geotechnical engineering, this person is responsible for the geotechnical aspects of waste dumps,...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 21874 Job Overview Reporting into the manager, tailings technology development, and working in strategic technology, you will be a key contributor...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 23642 Job Overview Are you an experienced project engineer looking for a new challenge? Are you seeking an opportunity to expand your work scope...
Int. Structural Engineer - (ECR0000KX) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC industry and ranked as the #2 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine, we...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 24422 Job Overview Are you looking for a new opportunity to utilize your environmental and reclamation expertise to lead our Closure and Reclamation...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 24550 Job Overview Reporting to the manager,...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 23367 Job Overview Reporting to the manager,...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 21874 Job Overview Reporting into the manager,...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 23642 Job Overview Are you an experienced project...
Int. Structural Engineer - (ECR0000KX) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC industry...
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 24422 Job Overview Are you looking for a new...