Director of Member Services
Anticipated Start Date: May 3rd, 2021 or as soon as available
Terms of Employment: Full-time permanent position subject to 3-month probationary period
The Empowerment Worker supports families, including families with children at risk of coming into care. The key goal of the Empowerment Worker is to prevent children from coming into care by linking families to available resources, programs and services and engaging and supporting cultural caregivers for those children who are unable to reside in their parental home. Family circles and traditional decision-making processes will be used to engage with wrap-around supports for families. Children in care must be connected to their community of origin. Cultural caregivers will be identified, recruited, and supported.
This position is also the designated Band Representative for Malahat working with child protection agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support safe, nurturing home environments for children and youth by assisting families in their role as primary caregivers;
- The Band Representative should be consulted and support all registered children and children entitled to be registered at Malahat Nation;
- Develop and implement specific strategies to solve problems affecting a child/youth's well-being within the family;
- Model effective problem-solving methods to address compatibility, and support conflict resolution with the child/youth and his/her family;
- Assist Cultural Caregivers with household management, facilitate their role in the planning process, and support their participation in community resource networks;
- Coordinate sustainable community resources that enhance the functioning of parents or cultural care providers;
- Promote and facilitate access to formal and informal support networks, such as relatives and friends, peer group, kinship/foster parent organizations, and/or community resources, schools and service agencies;
- Encourage and facilitate the use of culturally appropriate strength-based decision making to deal with conflicts that might arise between the caregiver and child;
- Facilitate community learning on how to become a Cultural Caregiver, and recruit interested and appropriate candidates for this crucial role;
- Provide and/or coordinate cultural learning for families and Cultural Caregivers to facilitate smooth placement transitions;
- The Band Representative should be consulted before the removal of a child or the implementation of a safety plan;
- Assist with short term and/or emergency placements with extended family and/or relatives;
- Identify and locate families or other close community members to help facilitate ongoing connection and possible placement of children at risk of coming into care;
- Attend regular case plan meetings;
- Sign court documents and attend court as the representative of Malahat Nation;
- Work with the delegated agency and Ministry to advocate for support services for children and families;
- Connect parents to the parents’ legal centre.
Credentials and Qualifications
- Degree in Child and Youth Care preferred, or equivalent education, or a combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with First Nations communities preferred.
- Experience working with children and youth required.
- Knowledge of our Coast Salish culture including land-based activities, spiritual understanding, importance of our Elders and familiarity with community preferred.
- Knowledge of the BC/KL Child and Family Services Act, Adoption Act, Aboriginal Custom Adoption Act, and other relevant policies and legislation preferred.
- Knowledge of issues and challenges of working with at risk children, youth, and families required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with wide variety of families, children, staff and resource people and to maintain reports, records, statistics and files related to the work;
- Establish trusting relationships with our children and families, while assisting them in development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills and other areas of interest;
- Provide flexible and responsive member-centered support to address children, youth, family or caregiver needs through individual program plans while respecting choices, decisions and needs of families;
- Ability to work under stress/pressure, in unpleasant and emotionally charged situations, including crisis situations;
- Must possess and maintain a valid B.C. Class 5 driver’s license.
- Travel is a requirement
- Must be able to work flexible hours (evenings and/or weekends).
- Criminal Records Review Act (CRRA) check.
Selection ProcessPreference will be given to qualified Indigenous applicants pursuant to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
To apply for the position of Family Empowerment Worker, please send the following to Emily.Peiffer@malahatnation.com before 11:59pm on April 9th , 2021:
- Cover letter
- Resume including references
We thank all individuals for applying, but only those applicants whose applications clearly demonstrate meeting the desired qualifications will receive a response.
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Req ID: 126999 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Req ID: 112491 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
représentant/représentante du service à la clientèle - centre d'appel, ACCÈS ALPIN DU CANADA, 27 daysCet employeur invite les personnes de 55 ans et plus à poser leur candidature. Nombre de poste(s) à combler : 10 N° de l'offre : 7911144 Appellation d'emploi à l'interne (si différente) :...
Req ID: 126999 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
Req ID: 112491 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
représentant/représentante du service à la clientèle - centre d'appel, ACCÈS ALPIN DU CANADA, 27 daysCet employeur invite les personnes de 55 ans et plus à poser leur candidature. Nombre de...