JOB POSTING #859713
Position: Director, Building Operations, Maintenance & Security
Department: Facilities Management – Planning, Redevelopment & Operations
Reports to: Vice President, FM-PRO
Salary Range: $114,601 - $143,266 per annum
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Status: Permanent Full-Time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Director, Facilities Management in our FM-PRO Department.
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here .
Reporting to the Vice President, Facility Management – Planning, Redevelopment & Operations, the Director, Building Operations, Maintenance & Security is responsible for the comprehensive management of all physical facilities of the core buildings that make up UHN (TGH, TWH, PMH, and TRI). The successful candidate will oversee the overall administration, planning, design, operation and development, risk, care and upkeep of all UHN physical facilities, including Physical Plant, Emergency Power Generation, Cooling Systems, Heating, Grounds, Elevators, Boilers, Lighting, Drains, Domestic Water, Isolation Rooms, Medical Gas Systems, Patient Handling Equipment, Roofs, Locking Systems, Refrigeration, Emergency Power Shut Downs, Switchboard, Security, Fire and Life Safety Systems.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures the critical systems of UHN’s physical assets are operational, facilitating the core mission of the organization in Health Care, Research and Education.
- Leadership, guidance and direction in evaluating and meeting the physical facilities needs of the Hospital.
- Responsible for building organizational capability in managing operations to promote a strong culture of resiliency at UHN.
- Responsible for strategy, governance policies and practices, reporting and operating frameworks, and special projects associated with UHN’s building operations.
- Engages stakeholders to ensure oversight and support aligns with UHN’s culture and strategic direction.
- Oversees the development and deployment of a comprehensive and integrated Facilities and Operational Risk Management program.
- Proactively identifies risk, implements mitigation strategies and evaluates the impact of risk across all UHN sites
- Ensures policies and strategies are in compliance with applicable regulations, governance standards, best practices and strategic directions for UHN.
- Keeps abreast of emerging issues, trends and evolving regulatory requirements and assesses the potential impact to UHN.
- Acts as a subject matter expert and develops an effective Risk Management governance structure and decision processes that align with UHN’s operating model and risk strategy.
- Manages employees and contractors to work collaboratively with various departments and administrators.
- Manages vendor contracts and relations with vendors.
- Provides assurance of safety of building operations for staff, patients, families and visitors.
- Identifies legal ramifications for areas of risk within buildings at UHN.
- Provides after hours support to team members overseeing the management of sites at UHN.
- Establishes policies and procedures for and provides leadership of key departments and functions including facilities, engineering, operations and maintenance, security, fire and life safety, risk, switchboard operations, and compliance and is responsible for overall asset condition.
- Manages and defines capital budget priorities, working closely with clinical and the Senior Facility Management Team.
- Identifies, manages and coordinates the development of intra-departmental operations processes designed to ensure the facility renewal and modernization needs of the hospital’s various clinical, academic and research departments, and staff units are integrated into UHN’s annual capital plans.
- Provides consultation in the development of capital plans for enterprise-wide projects, project plans, justification, and operational requirements.
- Advises the administration on the funding needs to adequately maintain the physical facilities of the institution, and assists the administration in the allocation of fiscal resources for various capital improvement and maintenance projects on the various sites.
- Manages all aspect of human resources
- Manages the unit/department financial resources
- Represents the unit/department internally on UHN committees, as required, and UHN in the external community at conferences, workshops, etc.
Performs planning responsibilities
- Develops, implements, manages and reviews short and long-term plans which are in alignment with UHN’s values, goals and strategies.
- Prepares appropriate business plan documents in support of short- and long-term strategic planning initiatives.
- Develops staff utilization plans to ensure adequate level/mix of human resources to execute plans and achieve required outcomes.
- Monitors progress towards the achievement of goals at regular intervals and takes action, as required.
- Develops and implements day-to-day operating policies, systems and procedures to contribute to organizational effectiveness.
Performs quality management responsibilities
- Manages the development, implementation, evaluation and maintenance of quality improvement initiatives which are in alignment with established UHN standards.
- Monitors quality improvement outcomes on a regular basis; develops action plans to address identified issues.
- Coaches staff to ensure that continuous quality improvement initiatives are incorporated into day-to-day activities.
- Supports organizational strategies and initiatives, e.g. patient satisfaction.
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration or Engineering or recognized equivalent
- Related health care experience including Facilities Management and Operations (10 years)
- Experience managing and leading teams of staff and initiatives in complex environments
- Outstanding team building and staff engagement skills
- Knowledge of Security, Fire Prevention, and Switchboard functions in a hospital setting
- Experience with Crisis Management and Business Continuity
- Experience in a multi-site environment
- Working experience with senior levels of organizations, government, professional associations, community stakeholders and others
- Excellent project management, strategic planning and leadership skills
- Consulting and negotiating skills
- Ability to think strategically at the global organizational level, as well as at Directorate, unit and individual levels.
- Broad knowledge of overall hospital structure, operating policies and decision-making processes.
- Knowledge of computer systems and various software applications
- Excellent knowledge of quality improvement principles and practice
- Broad understanding of the health care system, related issues and trends, policies and legislation.
- Knowledge of management principles and theories
- Knowledge of research techniques and processes
- Broad understanding of and sensitivity towards the multilingual and multicultural diversity of UHN staff/clients.
- Ability to adapt to change and to implement changes and facilitates its acceptance by others.
- Excellent problem recognition, analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent judgement and decision-making skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent creativity and innovation skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure/stressful conditions and to meet multiple and competing deadlines
- Ability to collaborate effectively with diverse management and employee groups and individuals
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
POSTED DATE: September 28, 2020 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Close Director, Demand Planning and SOP Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Director Industry: Packaged Goods Job Category: Supply Chain Years Experience:...
Close Sales Operations Specialist Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+ years) Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager) Industry: Packaged Goods Job Category: Marketing,Sales Years...
About Ribbon (Nasdaq: RBBN) We deliver global real-time communications software and network solutions to service providers, enterprises, and critical infrastructure sectors. We engage deeply with...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro Cloud Do you crave the creativity and freedom of a startup but the stability of a large, established company? Are you seeking the autonomy to take risks,...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro Commerce & Lifecycle Services Ingram Micro helps businesses fully realize the promise of technology.TM No other company delivers the full spectrum of...
Description Position: Director, Regional Sales Location: Toronto We are looking for salespeople who are sharp, creative, and hardworking with an unwavering desire to be the best. Traditional...
Close Director, Demand Planning and SOP Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+...
Close Sales Operations Specialist Job Posting Category: Experienced Professionals (1+...
About Ribbon (Nasdaq: RBBN) We deliver global real-time communications software and...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro Cloud Do you crave the creativity and freedom of a...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro Commerce & Lifecycle Services Ingram Micro helps...
Description Position: Director, Regional Sales Location: Toronto We are looking for salespeople...