Posting End Date:
Number of Opening:
Finning (Canada) is committed to providing a working environment that prepares CPA candidates to meet the requirements to become CPA’s by offering a structured training position with a sufficient range of progressively complex assignments, increasing responsibilities, and high quality practical experience. The pre-approved program is very important for the growth of our organization.
Our CPA candidate will participate in a rotational program while working as part of the Finance & Accounting teams (Financial Planning & Analysis, Operations Accounting, Regional Reporting, Shared Services) and the business support teams (Core, Mining, Power Systems, Rental, Corporate) and obtain their depth in the competency areas of management account and financial reporting in addition to meeting to approved core and breadth requirements and enabling competencies. In terms of progression, the CPA candidate will perform increasingly complex work assignments over the course of the training program, reaching the competence expected of an entry-level CPA by the end of the 30-month term.
Responsibilities include exposure to:
• Full cycle accounting,
• Financial reporting (internal and external),
• Financial planning and analysis,
• Quarterly/annual reporting requirements,
• Financial analysis, and
• Support for management decision making
Regional & Operations Accounting Rotation
- Work closely with operations in assigned region to assist in their understanding of basic accounting concepts and treatment as well as preparing monthly reports on variance analysis.
- Preparation and consolidation of budgets and forecasts with operations.
- Analyze operational budgets and forecasts to ensure submissions are aligned with company’s strategic direction.
- Creation of financial models to assist operations understand the implications of their business decisions on financial performance.
- Monitor, track and understand the financial performance and expectation of operations region against budgets and forecasts.
- Assist operations understanding of the broader organizational financial expectations.
- Preparation of statements (B/S, I/S, CF and Notes) in accordance with IFRS.
Financial Planning & Analysis Rotation
- Review budgets and forecasts for Finning (Canada) and ensure the three industry regions are strategically aligned with internal and external expectations.
- Review and evaluate the budgets and forecasts submitted by regions.
- Prepare consolidated reports outlining implications on business performance and distribute to senior leadership.
- Monitor budgets and forecasts to ensure sufficient cash flows for operations and projects.
- Monitor KPIs and financial metrics for the organization.
- Review appropriateness of capital purchases and management decisions within the overall organizational strategic plan.
- Review consolidated budgets and forecasts and inform internal stakeholders and senior management of any strategic misalignment with KPIs.
Skills After 30 Month Practicum
- Strong system knowledge and exposure to accounting treatment of variety of accounts.
- Strong understanding of accounting policies and transaction controls.
- Financial report preparation and statement analysis.
- Understanding of internal control and audit process.
- Strong understanding of financial planning & analysis, treasury management, capital budgeting, valuation, corporate finance, taxation, strategy and governance.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary education with a degree in Finance or Accounting
- CPA candidate
- 30-month program, in which individual will be employed full-time.
- At the conclusion of the 30-month program, incumbent will have to successfully apply to a permanent job opportunity in order to continue employment with Finning (Canada).
- Work location will be primarily in the Edmonton head office.
- Some travel within operations regions may be required.
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Capital Budget Officer Job Number : 34943 Are you a leader in Budget Expertise with strong ability to lead and manage financial planning, policy direction and strategies? The City of Edmonton is...
Employee Type: Regular-Full time Union/Non: This is a non-union position WE= unlimited potential We didn’t get to be a leader in energy delivery or ranked on the Global 100 Most Sustainable...
Manager, Corporate Accounts Payable Job Number : 34990 Are you an Accounts Payable Expert with the experience and motivation to lead the City’s AP team through a continuing transformation in...
Director, Finance - EDM00TH Company: WorleyParsonsCord Primary Location : CAN-AB-Edmonton Job : Finance Management Schedule : Full-time Employment Type: Staff Job Level: Experienced Job...
AECOM has a future opportunity for a Project Accountant to join our team at Edmonton, Alberta. Required to travel to Cold Lake 25%-30% of time. This is a full time position. This is a key...
LRT Signals Engineer Job Number : 34809 The Engineering and Maintenance Section of the Edmonton Transit Services Branch is looking for an LRT Signals Engineer who will be responsible for technical...
Capital Budget Officer Job Number : 34943 Are you a leader in Budget Expertise with strong...
Employee Type: Regular-Full time Union/Non: This is a non-union position WE= unlimited...
Manager, Corporate Accounts Payable Job Number : 34990 Are you an Accounts Payable Expert with...
Director, Finance - EDM00TH Company: WorleyParsonsCord Primary...
AECOM has a future opportunity for a Project Accountant to join our team at Edmonton, Alberta....
LRT Signals Engineer Job Number : 34809 The Engineering and Maintenance Section of the Edmonton...