Posting End Date:
Number of Opening:
Finning (Canada) is committed to providing a working environment that prepares CPA candidates to meet the requirements to become CPA’s by offering a structured training position with a sufficient range of progressively complex assignments, increasing responsibilities, and high quality practical experience. The pre-approved program is very important for the growth of our organization.
Our CPA candidate will participate in a rotational program while working as part of the Finance & Accounting teams (Financial Planning & Analysis, Operations Accounting, Regional Reporting, Shared Services) and the business support teams (Core, Mining, Power Systems, Rental, Corporate) and obtain their depth in the competency areas of management account and financial reporting in addition to meeting to approved core and breadth requirements and enabling competencies. In terms of progression, the CPA candidate will perform increasingly complex work assignments over the course of the training program, reaching the competence expected of an entry-level CPA by the end of the 30-month term.
Responsibilities include exposure to:
• Full cycle accounting,
• Financial reporting (internal and external),
• Financial planning and analysis,
• Quarterly/annual reporting requirements,
• Financial analysis, and
• Support for management decision making
Regional & Operations Accounting Rotation
- Work closely with operations in assigned region to assist in their understanding of basic accounting concepts and treatment as well as preparing monthly reports on variance analysis.
- Preparation and consolidation of budgets and forecasts with operations.
- Analyze operational budgets and forecasts to ensure submissions are aligned with company’s strategic direction.
- Creation of financial models to assist operations understand the implications of their business decisions on financial performance.
- Monitor, track and understand the financial performance and expectation of operations region against budgets and forecasts.
- Assist operations understanding of the broader organizational financial expectations.
- Preparation of statements (B/S, I/S, CF and Notes) in accordance with IFRS.
Financial Planning & Analysis Rotation
- Review budgets and forecasts for Finning (Canada) and ensure the three industry regions are strategically aligned with internal and external expectations.
- Review and evaluate the budgets and forecasts submitted by regions.
- Prepare consolidated reports outlining implications on business performance and distribute to senior leadership.
- Monitor budgets and forecasts to ensure sufficient cash flows for operations and projects.
- Monitor KPIs and financial metrics for the organization.
- Review appropriateness of capital purchases and management decisions within the overall organizational strategic plan.
- Review consolidated budgets and forecasts and inform internal stakeholders and senior management of any strategic misalignment with KPIs.
Skills After 30 Month Practicum
- Strong system knowledge and exposure to accounting treatment of variety of accounts.
- Strong understanding of accounting policies and transaction controls.
- Financial report preparation and statement analysis.
- Understanding of internal control and audit process.
- Strong understanding of financial planning & analysis, treasury management, capital budgeting, valuation, corporate finance, taxation, strategy and governance.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary education with a degree in Finance or Accounting
- CPA candidate
- 30-month program, in which individual will be employed full-time.
- At the conclusion of the 30-month program, incumbent will have to successfully apply to a permanent job opportunity in order to continue employment with Finning (Canada).
- Work location will be primarily in the Edmonton head office.
- Some travel within operations regions may be required.
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Senior Accountant Job Number : 36039 Do you have what it takes to combine your financial expertise with business acumen to provide financial advice and stewardship through excellence in financial...
Do you have refinery experience, turnaround experience, cost analysis, forecasting experience and accounts payable knowledge? Our Oil and Gas client is looking for a Senior Financial Analyst to...
Project Manager, Facility Infrastructure Delivery Job Number : 35942 If you are interested in working in a fast paced, dynamic environment with Program Management professionals we are looking for...
Licensed Team Leader / Licensed Crew Leader - Playspace and SportField Structures, City of Edmonton, 14 daysLicensed Team Leader / Licensed Crew Leader - Playspace and SportField Structures Job Number : 35986 The City’s Parks and Roads Services Branch is seeking a Team Leader/Crew Leader, Playspace and...
What is the Opportunity? As a member of Wealth Management Services, you will work with a select group of RBC Dominion Securities Investment Advisors and their High Net Worth Clients, both current...
Strategic Planning Analyst - Corporate Strategy Job Number : 35449 Are you interested in driving project management and business planning for the Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development...
Senior Accountant Job Number : 36039 Do you have what it takes to combine your financial...
Do you have refinery experience, turnaround experience, cost analysis, forecasting experience...
Project Manager, Facility Infrastructure Delivery Job Number : 35942 If you are interested in...
Licensed Team Leader / Licensed Crew Leader - Playspace and SportField Structures, City of Edmonton, 14 daysLicensed Team Leader / Licensed Crew Leader - Playspace and SportField Structures Job...
What is the Opportunity? As a member of Wealth Management Services, you will work with a select...
Strategic Planning Analyst - Corporate Strategy Job Number : 35449 Are you interested in driving...