Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Communications Coordinator II - Digital Communicationsprovides specialized work in the development and delivery of strategic communications plans, analysis of social media impact, engagement and return on investment and oversight of all social channels. With nearly 700,000 followers and fans, and over half a million online engagements per year, this position plays a crucial role in the City’s efforts to communicate directly with residents, ensure understanding of the City’s work and enable two-way conversations. The successful applicant will be responsible for positioning the City as a sector leader for social media by tracking trends and implementing best practices. They will oversee the City’s digital communications work including messaging and engagement on key strategic initiatives that are highly visible, time-sensitive, and carry a high degree of exposure for the City of Vancouver’s operations and reputation. This role has a strong strategic and community relations focus, including: developing social and digital communications strategies that reflect best practice and support successful business outcomes; creating, or supervising the creation of, various content to inform the public about key initiatives, their expected impacts and the opportunities for public involvement; tracking social trends and implementing new tools and tactics; providing insight and analysis of social projects; coordinating City-wide social media plans and training staff to ensure compliance. As part of their work, the successful candidate will conduct a review of the City’s social channel and accounts to provide recommendations to streamline, identify opportunities and enhance the City's social media presence.
Key contacts and reporting Relationships
This position reports to the Communications Manager – Media and Issues in Civic Engagement and Communications and works closely with the web designer (social media) and other Communications Managers and program leads in client departments, providing advisory services and training across the City.
Strategy and content
- Develops and implements the City of Vancouver’s overall social media strategy and content calendar to ensure it aligns with work of relevant business areas, such as Digital Services, 3-1-1 and Engagement.
- Works in close collaboration with internal communication teams and partner organizations’ social media staff to ensure cross-organizational understanding of the City-wide strategy; trains City staff to ensure content compliance with City social strategy, editorial guidelines and standards, usability and accessibility, and recommend enhancements as appropriate.
- Manages the City’s online reputation to ensure that all digital and social media platforms are effectively monitored; identifies and resolves consumer issues in a timely, accurate and on brand manner.
- Collaborates with client departments and evaluates social media requirements; advises clients on content and presentation; defines process and required resources; recommends solutions and alternatives.
Analysis and reporting
- Establishes KPIs and benchmarks to track performance across social channels and integrates use of analytics into day-to-day digital communication planning.
- Analyses and reports on campaign results, metrics and return on investment for paid and organic content; implements this insight when providing recommendations for future campaigns and optimizing content.
- Monitors resident engagement on social media channels and provides qualitative analysis that informs social plans and broader communication strategies.
- Liaises with technical specialists and the web team on technical and operational processes related to social media platform integration and works with same on the resolution of development and support issues.
- Researches, tests, assesses and recommends best practices, trends, new standards and tools related to social media, usability and accessibility; develops and recommends standards and tools; re-evaluates standards based on new developments in social media; stays current on social media trends.
- Oversees outreach to social media influencers and partners to help build our audience and connect with existing and future collaborators.
- Manages relationships with external suppliers to ensure the City maximises paid-for tools and achieves value for money.
- Advises on social media campaign budgets and assesses return on investment of paid-for campaigns.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience
- University graduation with a degree in communications or a related discipline, or completion of an educational program (certificate or diploma) in a field related to communications, journalism or marketing.
- Seven or more years’ experience in social media coordination and management, digital communications, public engagement and content development.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Experience working with multicultural communities would be an asset.
- Second language would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The successful candidate must have:
- Strong experience in social media management, be on top of current trends, and active on standard social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube) and demonstrate passion for social media as a whole.
- The ability to create and deliver insight-driven communications and content strategies.
- A clear understanding of the demands and complexities of municipal government projects and the ability to simplify these topics in a way that is engaging to the public.
- Comfortable working with a diverse range of clients and extremely personable.
- Strong and engaging writing skills, and a passion for creating interesting and engaging web content.
- Strong digital design skills, creative flair, originality and a strong visual sense.
- The ability to multi-task with a strong attention to detail.
- Familiarity with content management systems and web analytics.
- Experience in training is an asset.
- Knowledge of Hootsuite Enterprise and other social media monitoring and scheduling tools considered an asset.
- Knowledge of local government.
- Strong computer and graphic software knowledge including Adobe inDesign, Adobe Photoshop, web page editing, or equivalent computer applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of inter-disciplinary work teams, and to work within defined timelines is essential.
- Able to take initiative and accepting of feedback and guidance.
Business Unit/Department: Civil Engagement and Communications
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade 27: $40.48 to $47.82 per hour
Application Close: February 26, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 5 years or more
Rate: $40.48 Hour
Req ID: 113876 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Req ID: 115400 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Req ID: 114560 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Req ID: 112580 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Req ID: 114315 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
The Company Imperva is an analyst-recognized, cybersecurity leader—championing the fight to secure data and applications wherever they reside. Once deployed, our solutions proactively identify,...
Req ID: 113876 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
Req ID: 115400 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
Req ID: 114560 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
Req ID: 112580 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
Req ID: 114315 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
The Company Imperva is an analyst-recognized, cybersecurity leader—championing the fight to...