The City of Port Alberni is a community of over 17,000 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, Port Alberni is a well-serviced municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceanfront, lakes, rivers and mountains.
The City of Port Alberni is currently accepting applications from qualified candidates for a full-time Building and Plumbing Inspector to join a progressive and dynamic organization.
Reporting to the Manager of Planning, this position provides technical expertise and advice relating to all building permit and inspection activities as well as related bylaws, codes and regulations. The Building and Plumbing Inspector undertakes the inspection of all types of building construction, repair and alteration, the processing of permit applications and the inspection of plumbing, sewer and foundation drainage installations for compliance to applicable regulations, by-laws and requirements. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for enforcing City by-laws, for providing technical information, advice and direction, and for responding to related enquiries.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Completion of grade 12 as well as completion of a diploma program in building technology, or possession of a trades qualification, as well as the completion of related courses.
- A minimum of five years of related work experience in the construction industry, or inspectional and regulatory experience.
- Possession of a current Level 1 Building Official qualification from the Building Official’s Association of British Columbia (BOABC), and must be eligible for Level 2 qualification.
- Must be eligible for Level 1 Plumbing qualification from the BOABC.
- Possession of a WETT (Wood Energy Transfer Technology) Certification for Inspection is preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency keyboarding as well as using the MSOffice Suite and GIS software.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with various stakeholders as required.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Possession of a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
The current rate of pay for this position is $38.80 per hour. Short listed applicants will be required to complete a fitness test.
Please forward a resume and cover letter by Monday, August 24th , 2020 at 4:30pm:
Attention: Human Resources
By mail: City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
By email: email@example.com
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.