An exciting opportunity to join our team!
School District 69 (Qualicum) is seeking qualified applications to join our management team in the role of Assistant Manager, Operations & Safety.
THE COMMUNITY AND SCHOOL DISTRICT
School District 69 (Qualicum) is a vibrant school district serving over 4,000 students. We are honoured to live in the unceded territories of the Snaw-Naw-As (Nanoose) and Qualicum First Nations in the area from Nanoose to Bowser on the East Coast of Vancouver Island. We encompass the Town of Qualicum Beach, the City of Parksville, Lasqueti Island and inland areas including Errington and Coombs. For years the district has had a well-earned reputation as having unparalleled community partnerships, most notably in early childhood services. Now it is known as an exciting hub of innovation characterized by bold initiatives and strong partner and parent relationships along with a strong cadre of school and district leaders.
Our communities are filled with beautiful scenery, endless outdoor opportunities and incredibly welcoming people. School District 69 (Qualicum) welcomes community organizations and community members into our schools. Parents, seniors, peer and intergenerational mentors can be found in various programs throughout our district.
Reporting to the General Manager of Operations, the Assistant Manager, Operations & Safety provides leadership in supporting a wide range of Operational and Health and Safety functions with accountability for the daily supervision of the Operations department support staff and the District’s Health & Safety Program, ensuring a healthy and safe working environment for all district employees, and compliance with Workers’ Compensation Board and other statutory requirements.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Supervisory responsibilities of all Operations support staff employees, providing daily direction and ensuring industry best practices are followed, and resolving scheduling issues. Refers complex matters to the General Manager of Operations.
- Assist the General Manager of Operations in the development, implementation, and control of departmental plans, budgets, programs (such as loss prevention and energy management), and procedures.
- Monitor Operations Department for adherence to School District and departmental policies, safety standards, and regulatory requirements including, but not limited to, WorkSafe BC, Fire Code Regulations, BC Safety Authority.
- Oversee service contracts related to hazardous materials disposal, pest control, security contract, etc.
District Health and Safety Responsibilities
Under the direction of the General Manager of Operations:
- Coordinate the School District’s Emergency Response Procedures and act as the on-scene coordinator during emergencies.
- Develop and facilitate the implementation of health and safety plans, risk assessment, action plans, and safe operating procedures in a manner which meets best practice standards and ensures compliance with all Workers’ Compensation Board and other statutory requirements. This will include providing support for the administration of WorkSafe BC Claims Management services and the responsibilities thereof.
- Identify, investigate, report, and provide input regarding the cause of any safety incidents and provide prevention strategies related to same.
- Through a regular audit cycle, monitors and reviews the health and safety plan, processes and procedures to ensure compliance as required.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training, development, and education of employees related to all health and safety and WHMIS requirements (including audiometric testing, WHMIS, compliance with regards to hazardous materials and MSDS information systems, and the compliance with all workplace policies, rules, and regulations.
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the annual District Health & Safety budget, including the approval of Health & Safety expenditures.
- Acts as the employer representative on the District’s Joint Health & Safety Committee, leading the work to ensure compliance within the district.
The successful applicant will have the following:
- Degree in Health and Safety and have successfully demonstrated the application of this education, or equivalent experience and education;
- Minimum of five years’ supervisory experience in a unionized environment;
- Minimum five years’ experience in safety and facilities maintenance;
- Thorough knowledge of WorkSafe BC legislation/regulations, risk management strategies and claims management;
- Working knowledge of the BC Motor Vehicle Act;
- Demonstrated experience delivering health and safety training in a variety of areas;
- Demonstrated ability to create a positive culture of safety;
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication; to provide support and recommendations to on site supervisors or representatives;
- Well-organized self-starting approach with a demonstrated ability to work as an efficient team leader in establishing priorities, and achieving goals and objectives when faced with varied and conflicting demands;
- Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office and Computerized Maintenance Management Systems;
- Valid Class 5 drivers’ license; and,
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation preferred.
Applications are accepted through the Make a Future website as well as to the Director of Human Resources for School District 69 (Qualicum) and must include:
- Cover letter
- List of three professional references (with permission to contact each referee in confidence)
Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. on March 2, 2021.
How to apply:
Make a Future
Please note to submit your application to the actual job posting you must click onto the job posting, then click the “APPLY” button.
School District 69 (Qualicum)
Submit your application to the Director of Human Resources - School District 69 (Qualicum): firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 5 years or more