Closing date: Open until Filled
Assistant Director of Transportation (Continuous)
Engineering and Public Works Department
Victoria is a vibrant and sustainably focused city, renowned as a globally recognized tourist destination welcoming over 3.5 million visitors annually and a place with an exceptional quality of life for its residents. Located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island and the capital of British Columbia, Victoria is home to over 80,000 people and is the economic and cultural centre for the Capital Region’s 350,000 residents. The city is experiencing change and growth with increased levels of development, and major City-building initiatives on the horizon.
The City of Victoria is seeking an Assistant Director, Transportation within the Engineering and Public Works Department who is a highly motivated, self-starting individual that will bring exceptional technical and leadership abilities and thrive in a high-profile position delivering transportation services to our citizens and visitors. The successful candidate will have extensive municipal experience as a leader in transportation planning and engineering combined with proven problem solving and superior communication skills rounded off with an ability to respond to, predict and lead within a rapidly changing mobility environment.
The successful candidate will have the professional experience, stature and approach to foster respect and credibility with stakeholders including city council, internal clients and the public and will be proficient at navigating the political dynamics of working within a highly visible role. The Assistant Director will have the opportunity to use the experience and skills they have built in municipal transportation leadership to oversee, direct and positively impact the City of Victoria’s entire mobiolity systems and networks.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering and Public Works, the Assistant Director of Transportation works closely with the two other Assistant Directors responsible for Engineering and Public Works respectively. The Assistant Director is responsible for the effective delivery of the full range of transportation and mobility services, including policy development, strategic and capital planning, land development advice and requirements, multi-modal design, traffic operations and data management.
- Developing, implementing and advancing the strategic direction for the City’s Transportation Division.
- Employing a “complete streets” planning and design philosophy to create transportation systems of shared-value among multiple users of the City’s transportation infrastructure.
- Leading and managing approximately 25 technical and planning staff.
- Providing leadership, mentorship and professional growth to the Transportation Division’s managers, enabling staff through development to realize their potential and consistently deliver successful outcomes and continuous improvement.
- Recruiting staff; managing employee conduct and performance.
- Establishing effective relationships with stakeholders and working collaboratively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders to meet the mobility needs of the City.
- Participating with senior managers in the development of departmental strategic direction, organizational and performance outcomes and priorities.
- Coordinating the preparation and management of operating and capital budgets.
- Providing professional verbal and written advice and recommendations to senior managers, community stakeholders and elected officials.
- Representing the Transportation Division across all city departments and with external private, public and government agencies.
- Deputize for the Director as and when required.
- Perform other related activities as and when required.
- A preferred Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation Engineering or Planning or relevant discipline.
- A preferred Professional Engineer (PEng) or Applied Science Technologist (AScT).
- 10 years of progressively responsible management experience in municipal engineering construction and management.
- An equivalent combination of qualifications and experience will be considered
- Proven leadership ability and a demonstrated track record in resolving complex issues and conflicts in a timely and effective manner.
- Adept at building trust and performing successfully in high-visibility environments by using skills and abilities in establishing relationships and credibility.
- Strategic planning, implementation and execution skills established through past experience developing and fulfilling related municipal transportation initiatives.
- Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical writing and public speaking skills.
To apply for this opportunity you will need to create an online profile or log back in to our career portal at www.victoria.ca/jobs - only online submission will be considered. All applications must be submitted online. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume
City of Victoria is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We are committed to ensuring that reasonable accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment cycle and will provide reasonable accommodations upon request. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at HR@victoria.ca
Req ID: 100082 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
Req ID: 101372 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and forward-thinking organization,...
Req ID: 100664 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive, adaptable, and...
représentant/représentante du service à la clientèle - centre d'appel, ACCÈS ALPIN DU CANADA, 5 daysCet employeur invite les personnes de 55 ans et plus à poser leur candidature. Nombre de poste(s) à combler : 10 N° de l'offre : 7717477 Appellation d'emploi à l'interne (si différente) :...
Req ID: 100082 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
Req ID: 101372 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to...
Req ID: 100664 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate...
représentant/représentante du service à la clientèle - centre d'appel, ACCÈS ALPIN DU CANADA, 5 daysCet employeur invite les personnes de 55 ans et plus à poser leur candidature. Nombre de...