Requisition ID: 202160
Locations vary within Canada
Startup & Operating Services helps maintain Bechtel’s position as a leader in the engineering and construction industry. We provide startup, commissioning, training, operations, and equipment maintenance for customers worldwide in a variety of heavy industries.
This is an entry-level Startup position with Bechtel Corporation, a Global leader in Engineering and Construction. Bechtel is predominately engaged in large, heavy industrial and infrastructure projects, with project sizes ranging from fifty million to several billion dollars. Bechtel's projects are generally regarded as 'Mega-Projects' - changing the face of the planet and contributing positively to people across the world. Bechtel currently has more than 49,000 employees on a wide range of projects in nearly 60 countries. Bechtel prides itself on its diverse competencies in Construction, Engineering, Procurement, Project Management, Safety and Technology. Bechtel is a family owned company, and the value of family is carried through the company. Bechtel first began construction in 1898.
The total number of hires and start dates are subject to workload and business conditions. Locations will vary based on project needs.
Bechtel’s Startup & Operating Services is strategically positioned for rapid deployment in the global market. The variety of startup and operating activities at Bechtel requires detail-oriented, flexible and motivated individuals with problem solving and troubleshooting skills, and the determination to meet individual and team challenges.
Working in Startup & Operation Services, you’ll use state-of-the-art methods and resources to help continually improve our ability to test, commission, operate, and maintain facilities safely and cost effectively.
- Mechanical equipment setup and testing (pumps, turbines, and compressors)
- Electrical distribution system testing and energization
- Instrument installation, calibration, and testing
- Control system logic and operator interface validation and testing
- Startup system scoping, scheduling, work planning, and test procedure development
- Plant operation and equipment maintenance
- System/process tuning and performance demonstration
- Classified work on government projects
General Job Duties
Entry-level Startup Engineers perform assignments that develop startup work knowledge and abilities through the application of developed techniques, standards, guidelines, procedures, and criteria. Exercises limited, but increasing judgment, in performing assigned tasks. Using prescribed methods, performs specific and limited portions of the broader assignment of an experienced Startup Engineer. Performs startup assistance at the jobsite as directed. Receive technical and administrative supervision from a Startup Engineer or Startup Supervisor. May receive technical direction or on the job instructions from a Startup Engineer or Senior Startup Engineer.
Essential Job Duties
The Startup Interns responsibilities may include:
- Compiles, evaluates and correlates data for procedures and system files;
- Provides input to and/or reviews Startup test procedures;
- Provides input to and/or reviews Engineering, Operations, project deliverables, and assists in project design and model reviews as pertains to plant operability and Startup;
- Performs field consulting services as required;
- Directs component and system commissioning and testing under close supervision;
- Directs maintenance under close supervision;
- Conducts walk-down of systems in conjunction with construction, prior to system turnover from construction, under close supervision;
- Performs calculations and simple preliminary analyses to evaluate test results;
- Assists in project design reviews and project operations manual preparation;
- Coordinates assigned work with other technical personnel as directed.
- Currently enrolled in a four-year Bachelor of Science degree program in Marine Engineering, Construction Management, or Engineering (any discipline), from an accredited college or University;
- Completed at least one year of undergraduate studies in engineering or related field;
- Familiarity with basic design of electrical and controls systems, mechanical process systems, and process controls;
- Technical knowledge of startup, commissioning, operations, or maintenance;
- Basic knowledge of engineering systems and applications of startup and commissioning methods;
- Basic skills in oral and written communication and software packages;
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen, physical (if located at the construction site), and background check;
- Must have the right to work and remain in Canada without visa sponsorship, now or in the future.
- Previous co-op or internship experience;
- Strong GPA;
- Familiarity with basic operations and/or maintenance practices associated with oil, gas, petrochemical, power or offshore facilities;
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point;
- Must be willing to relocate to project or jobsite.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
LOCATION: Edmonton, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 25427 Job Overview Reporting to the team leader, you will be responsible for supporting the design, offline testing and commissioning of...
LOCATION: Edmonton, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 25430 Job Overview Reporting to the team leader, instrumentation electrical and controls, you will be responsible to lead capital and expense...
LOCATION: Edmonton, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 25113 Job Overview Reporting to the manager, process engineering, you will be engaged in dedicated and proactive support of the Edmonton refinery to...
Project Operations Manager - (ECR0000YG) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC industry and ranked as the #2 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine for the...
Sr. Electrical Designer Checker - (ECR0000YP) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC industry and ranked as the #2 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine for...
Principal Process Engineer - (ECR00012Q) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC industry and ranked as the #2 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine for the...
LOCATION: Edmonton, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 25427 Job Overview Reporting to the team leader,...
LOCATION: Edmonton, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 25430 Job Overview Reporting to the team leader,...
LOCATION: Edmonton, Alberta (CA-AB) JOB NUMBER: 25113 Job Overview Reporting to the manager,...
Project Operations Manager - (ECR0000YG) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC industry...
Sr. Electrical Designer Checker - (ECR0000YP) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC...
Principal Process Engineer - (ECR00012Q) Description Recognized as a leader in the EPC industry...